Gretsch Black Copper

Beautiful. I debated their limited edition run prior to this one, but having to play with Super Pads and L80s kinda killed my GAS. Wouldn't be able to hear it till the apocalypse!

Beautiful. I debated their limited edition run prior to this one, but having to play with Super Pads and L80s kinda killed my GAS. Wouldn't be able to hear it till the apocalypse!
I have this mental picture of a stereotypical fire-and-brimstone hellscape happening outside, lots of running and screaming.....and all the drummers being like YESSS I can play drums now!!!!!

Copper makes a really nice sound and whether all polished up like a new penny or with aged blue/green patina it has a beautiful appearance. That leads me to the question....why did Gretsch make it black? Takes away from the uniqueness of copper.

I have this mental picture of a stereotypical fire-and-brimstone hellscape happening outside, lots of running and screaming.....and all the drummers being like YESSS I can play drums now!!!!!
Great visual and likely when I'd get to hear my drums again...unless I get with a band and play out...trying to make that happen too.
Copper makes a really nice sound and whether all polished up like a new penny or with aged blue/green patina it has a beautiful appearance. That leads me to the question....why did Gretsch make it black? Takes away from the uniqueness of copper.
With the release of the limited edition version, in a video I watched they said the black dried out the sound. it's certainly different anyway!

I know a lot of people state that the nickel plating on the Black Beaoty helps define its sound. Maybe this is the same thing. I'd love to try one of these but I already have a Gretsch copper snare so it's hard to justify buying another copper snare. Oh wait my birthday's coming up! Will this GAS ever end?.

I’ve played one in a shop and it sounded killer, but I just didn’t like the look of the finish. Looked cheap. I know that “doesn’t matter” to a lot of people, but there are so many gorgeous looking snares out there on the market that ALSO sound killer...

I actually just picked one of these up. I put some triple flange hoops on it, and i am getting used to it. It’s not as dry as my supraphonic, but I suppose this is the introductory period; we are getting to know each other lol

Back