Gretsch 14x6.5 Custom Bell Brass vs my Luddy BB and Canopus Bronze?

Drum Guy

So, never owned a gretsch...wondered if the gretsch 14x6.5 USA custom bell brass snare is significantly different enough in sound/tone to buy, if I already have a great 14x8 Ludwig Black beauty and 5.5x14 hammered Canopus Bronze?

Also, I read where the gretsch brass isn't lacquered - bad brass pitting and issues with that over time?

And is the Gretsch a seamless or welded shell?

Last edited:
If it's 3mm then it's probably cast like most "bell bronze" snares. The sound is going to be unique but since you already have a brass and a bronze snare, why not try other materials? Aluminium seems to be a popular choice, and let's not forget about the millions of types of wood. Whenever I think of a Gretsch snare I think wood and not metal. Variety is fun.

If it's 3mm then it's probably cast like most "bell bronze" snares. The sound is going to be unique but since you already have a brass and a bronze snare, why not try other materials? Aluminium seems to be a popular choice, and let's not forget about the millions of types of wood. Whenever I think of a Gretsch snare I think wood and not metal. Variety is fun.

thanks for thought...yes, I do have about a dozen snares including a yamaha aluminum, and too many wood snares - but was just curious about getting a gretsch and their brass at 6.5x14...just curious if it's any good, and diff enough ...can't hear it in person unfortunately

The feel will be different for sure. The thick shell and die cast hoops make for a much stiffer feel.
I have a Brooklyn bell brass snare and love it. It doesn’t have the same round sounding body of a BB, IMO. It’s more focused and direct. To me, the BB breathes more.

Yes, it will sound different enough. The shell of the Gretsch Bell Brass snares is 3mm, and it's cast bronze iirc. Awesome sound!

The Gretsch Bell Brass is the most consistently great sounding snare after the Tama Bell Brass IMO. The crack and overtones are dialed in just right. Some of the other brands out there can sound great too, but IMHO they can be more hit and miss, with wayward overtones or a slightly less desirable tone. If I ever buy a bell brass, it'll probably be the Gretsch.

Yes, it will sound different enough. The shell of the Gretsch Bell Brass snares is 3mm, and it's cast bronze iirc. Awesome sound!

The Gretsch Bell Brass is the most consistently great sounding snare after the Tama Bell Brass IMO. The crack and overtones are dialed in just right. Some of the other brands out there can sound great too, but IMHO they can be more hit and miss, with wayward overtones or a slightly less desirable tone.
Agreed about dialing it in. The overtones are really prominent on mine when the lugs aren’t evenly tuned. That’s to be expected of course, but it’s really pronounced on mine when I don’t have it dialed in just right. I used to have a BB and it was a little more forgiving in terms of having to dial in. That being said, the Gretsch bell brass is a beast when dialed in. Can’t think of many other drums I’d wanna play when laying down a backbeat

That Gretsch Bell Brass might make it onto my 2021 wish list. My DW Collectors Bell Brass currently rules in my collection. Those drums are heavy as hell, but sound like heaven! Just buy one!

It’s a great drum.

The only regret you’ll have is carrying the thing!! (it weighs a ton) but as an instrument it’s sensitive and powerful in equal measures.

I’d love to one one. It’s a great snare.

thanks for replies - so wish I could in person play/hear some of these snares I buy, then often have to sell.

But it sounds almost unanimous that the Gretsch bell brass USA Custom is a great snare and hopefully different enough to sit in between my bronze 5.5x14 and the BB 8x14

Wish Grestch made this in 7x14.

I have both a black beauty & Gretsch USA bell brass.

To me they are completely different drums in terms of sound.

I think both are really great and it would be tough to pick between the 2

good to hear...thanks

lastly will my DW 5300 snare stand be able to support the 17 lb gretsch bell brass snare?

My DW 9000 stand supports it fine.

Back