Greg Gaylord Drum Solo question

single-ply

When Greg was making his own drums, before he went to Craviotto, he made them out of all kinds of woods.

A friend has one that says 'Banana' on the inside of the shell. Did he ever use that wood? I don't see it listed on the wood hardness scale and all I can find is that it's mush and useless as a hardwood.

Any knowledge on this out there? Greg?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Bananas are an herb, not a tree. The trunks are about as stiff as celery stalks, if celery grew 8 inches thick. Maybe there’s an actual tree whose colloquial name translates as “banana”, but there’s no way you could make a drum shell from a banana plant.

single-ply

Bananas are an herb, not a tree. The trunks are about as stiff as celery stalks, if celery grew 8 inches thick. Maybe there’s an actual tree whose colloquial name translates as “banana”, but there’s no way you could make a drum shell from a banana plant.
Yes, I actually DO know that true banana tree wood is mush and therefore more of a herb rather than a wood. All I can say is the drum is wood, was made by Greg Gaylord, has a 'Drum Solo' badge, and sounds great. Greg also signed it and wrote 'Banana' like he wrote the species of wood in all his drums. Just trying to figure out what the wood might actually be.

To Hollywood Jim, yes, the drum is essentially yellow.