greetings from a non drummer

lem

Old guy here trying to help out my diseased friends widow by clearing out her basement. Among the usual crap that people accumulate after 40+ years in the same house, was a drum set. Any way I now have in MY basement what appears to be complete set. There is a base drum with 2 smaller ones attached to it as well as a cow bell.Who doesn't need more cow bell? There is larger floor drum and what even I know is a snare drum. There 3 symbol sets of varying sizes and a round swivel seat. Other than accumulated dust,spider webs, etc. they appear to be in reasonable condition. They white in color with sort of a prism effect to it. The name I could read on a blue/black label reads Broadway-John Grey-autocrat or words to that effect. Once I clean them up, I can take a few pictures Two questions: What is the best way to clean them and is this worth doing? As they still make the appropriate noises, my 10 year old grand daughter expressed extreme interest in using them to increase audio torture on dear old grandad. There is also a box of sticks, pedals and chrome stuff. My buddy did not play drums but was the type of guy who would pick up anything if it was free. Thanks for any advice you can give regarding age, value etc.

KamaK

Platinum Member
You 'may' have an actual collectible antique there.

Take pics and post them.

DO NOT clean them quite yet. You can knock the dust/cobwebs off with a dry towel.

BonsaiMagpie

Looks to be intermediate level stuff, but some confusion over Broadway vs Autocrat, with Autocrat being the superior model.
The sticks are probably good for your granddaughter, but of no value to resell if they have been in the basement for that long.

The real vintage enthusiasts will be able to help when you provide some photos of the kit. Try to get the badges clear if you can.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Looks to be intermediate level stuff, but some confusion over Broadway vs Autocrat, with Autocrat being the superior model.
The sticks are probably good for your granddaughter, but of no value to resell if they have been in the basement for that long.

The real vintage enthusiasts will be able to help when you provide some photos of the kit. Try to get the badges clear if you can.
With what I read, it looks like there are two groups of products.... Early 1900's antiques and a domestic 1960's stencil-style kit.

My guess is that he likely has an Autocrat kit with a Broadway snare or vice versa, and given the prismatic coloring the OP suggests, it would likely be a 60's model. There are indications on the web that these kits sell for ~$1000.

We'll have a better idea once the pictures show up.

@OP . Please include pictures of the cymbals (and any of their markings and dimensions).

The cymbals aren't valuable, but the drums could be pretty good. But due to the damages and because you might not be able to check everything for perfect functionality as a non-drummer, I don't think you'll make more than $400 selling these as a lot. You could make more by selling individual parts like the Slingerland Floor Tom or the Tom Holder that's mounted onto the bass drum but that might be too much trouble. The Tom Holder seems to be a Rogers Swivomatic which is pretty valuable if the Collet Noses aren't cracked. The drums seem to be rather small in diameter - this could increase the value.

I can't make out though if the diameters are metric or in inches. Do you know any drummers that could come to your place with a bunch of standard drum heads? If modern heads (inches) fit, that's a definite plus.

Do you consider keeping it for your grand daughter? If you swap out the old drum heads and clean the set a bit, she'll have a very classy set!

If you decide to keep it, you could sell one of the small Toms if they are of the same size and the Tom Holder. You can put that money towards new heads and a snare stand for the remaining small Tom. A cheap fix for the bass drum feet would be scraping off loose wood bits with sandpaper and filling the hole with epoxy resin or something similar. I'd probably keep them and spend some time with the grand daughter on the restoration if you both think that that would be fun.

Last edited:

lem

Thanks for the restoration ideas, I have the necessary skills. I can measure the heads in either centimeters or inches. Where do I measure, Inside/outside or skin only? What is a collet nose?

There are some great resources on that website. For general restoration advice: http://vintagedrumguide.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html

Here's a link to a Collet Nose: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROGERS-SWIVOMATIC-MACHINED-COLLET-NOSE-COB-USA-BASS-TOM-SWIVO-NICE-CLEAN/362740725750?hash=item54750837f6:g:304AAOSwkJJdaZZh

I'd start by taking off the heads and lugs to see what you really have before you finally decide because vintage replacement parts can be pretty costly. Best of luck!

lem

There are some great resources on that website. For general restoration advice: http://vintagedrumguide.com/how_to_vintage_snare.html

Here's a link to a Collet Nose: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROGERS-SWIVOMATIC-MACHINED-COLLET-NOSE-COB-USA-BASS-TOM-SWIVO-NICE-CLEAN/362740725750?hash=item54750837f6:g:304AAOSwkJJdaZZh

I'd start by taking off the heads and lugs to see what you really have before you finally decide because vintage replacement parts can be pretty costly. Best of luck!
Thanks for the links and advice. I saw pictures of the drum set you built from spare parts...great pix and just about convinced me to attempt a restoration job. Remembering that I am a non drummer and based on info provided by others I have three options: 1- Learn more about drums and drumming, spend quality time with my granddaughter and restore the set. 2- "Part out" the base drum and get a cheap one to replace it giving me/us a complete set. 3-Sell the whole 9 yards and be done with it! I'm leaning toward option 1 (my granddaughter is leaning on me), but if I choose option 2 or 3, what would be the proper venue be to sell them? If I do restore, I'll try to document it with photos.

Thanks for the nice words! I hope you decide on option 1 of course! :) I'd keep the bass drum if the two holes for the bass drum legs are the only problem - it should be a good drum. Filling the holes and drilling new ones for the legs doesn't take long and will probably increase the value if you decide to sell it later on anyway (it's already bruised and no longer original due to the tom holder, so don't worry!). Do the toms work with the tom holder on the bass drum?
By the way, if the diameters are metric, you might find fitting heads by Remo that won't cost a lot more than standard heads: https://support.remo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001202503-Premier-Pre-International-Metric-Drumheads

If you decide to sell it for maximum profit and don't mind spending some time on the sale, you could split it up like this, for example:
- John Grey Drums
- Slingerland Floor Tom
- Rogers Tom Holder
- Cymbal set
- Hardware and various remaining pieces

lem

Thanks for the nice words! I hope you decide on option 1 of course! :) I'd keep the bass drum if the two holes for the bass drum legs are the only problem - it should be a good drum. Filling the holes and drilling new ones for the legs doesn't take long and will probably increase the value if you decide to sell it later on anyway (it's already bruised and no longer original due to the tom holder, so don't worry!). Do the toms work with the tom holder on the bass drum?
By the way, if the diameters are metric, you might find fitting heads by Remo that won't cost a lot more than standard heads: https://support.remo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001202503-Premier-Pre-International-Metric-Drumheads

If you decide to sell it for maximum profit and don't mind spending some time on the sale, you could split it up like this, for example:
- John Grey Drums
- Slingerland Floor Tom
- Rogers Tom Holder
- Cymbal set
- Hardware and various remaining pieces
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.