Green Glass DW

Chonson

Apologies for the shaky pics - took them for another thread but thought I'd post:

DW Collector's, Green Glass.
14x28
10x13
13x16
7x14

15" Sig Sound Edge, 18" Giant Beat, 24" Giant Beat, 20" Giant Beat, 22" 2002 China.

P

PlaysforFun

Nice kit...I don't know how you play with your 13" positioned like that. I guess you get used to it after a while.

cadwiz

Freakin' awesome!! Do have trouble finding bass drum heads?
I'm recent convert from Zildjian to Paiste. I'm changing to an all Giant Beat setup. Currently, I have the 18" & 20" multis and I just ordered 24" ride & 15" hats. Is there a reason for going with 15"Sig v. 15"GB? Just curious.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
GOOD GOD MAN! ...I'd remove bone from my knuckles for sure on that Giant Beat doing a 2 tom fill. That bass drum must sound like God Himself is treading nearby. I'll bet you could stop a swarm of locusts at 50 feet with that thing...I'd so love to lay into that thing unmuffled unported in a grain silo or a castle or even a huge bathroom....Total Bliss.....Ahhhhh

Chonson

Thanks for the comments - just thought I'd share it for fun.
Actually, the distance between the high tom and floor tom isn't as huge as it looks; it's relatively comfortable. Sure - you're not going to rip from one to the other. I tend to be more of a big-note guy on fills - and even when I want to do some sort of rip around the kit, it just forces me to stop and think about it. So that's fun.

As to the 13" position - actually not as strange as it looks. If it's tilted more it tends to kind of sit at a strange angle, and you don't want to go up higher against the 28, unless you like swinging at drums at or above eye level. :) It's fairly low with respect to the snare but there's enough tip to it that it's an easy transition.

15 sig SE vs 15 GB: I do play the 15 GBs but for what I am going to record in the next couple days I want to get a solid sound on the hi-hat with the foot. After that it's probably back to the GB - which definitely blends better.

remoking

GOOD GOD MAN! ...I'd remove bone from my knuckles for sure on that Giant Beat doing a 2 tom fill. That bass drum must sound like God Himself is treading nearby. I'll bet you could stop a swarm of locusts at 50 feet with that thing...I'd so love to lay into that thing unmuffled unported in a grain silo or a castle or even a huge bathroom....Total Bliss.....Ahhhhh
hahaha.....Nice set man.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Holy geeze! Throw a mailbox out in front of that kick drum and just move into it. I can't imagine playing one that big but I bet it sounds incredible.

OK, Mikey is falling waaay behind...two cats have 28" kicks on here now. Anyone going to one-up this with a 30"?

stasz

Platinum Member
I guess you were trying to outdo Bonzo with sizes like that. Beautiful stuff looks like a great sounding kit. Love the shimmery paistes.

mikei

Gold Member
Holy geeze! Throw a mailbox out in front of that kick drum and just move into it. I can't imagine playing one that big but I bet it sounds incredible.

OK, Mikey is falling waaay behind...two cats have 28" kicks on here now. Anyone going to one-up this with a 30"?
Wow,,

I have been humbled!

Someday!

HeadRush

I totally love the set
it is one of my dreams
also, despite what people say about it being weirdly set up, I really dig it

Chonson

but couldn't you get a big bass drum?
Well, you know, I also play jazz gigs on this kit, so any larger than 28 and I... ;)

Actually the bass drum is the largest drum that can fit in my car. The whole thing actually fits very easily in my car which also fits comfortably in a compact parking space. :)

Mike: you want a 28. Trust me. Huge low end - enough bass to be anatomically hazardous. I am glad I went with the 14 vs 20 depth though.

What wasn't pictured but was part of the order:
9x12, 11x14 tom, 14x18 floor, 18x22 (because I do live in the real world) and 8x28.

Basically I get three configs that way:
28-13-16 or 28-14-18 (the biggest bop kit ever)
22-13-16
18-12-14 (using a floor tom conversion kit).