Greatest Rock Supergroup ?

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I don't particularly dislike Gavin Harrison - that's my exception.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I don't particularly dislike Gavin Harrison - that's my exception.
Really? You don't like Geddy Lee's bass playing? Say what you will about about Neil's drumming or lyrics; Geddy's voice, or his and Alex's songwriting (as I often do myself), but strictly as a bass player, Geddy's one of my all-time faves.

Gavin's not too shabby, either!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

He's a good player but he really doesn't do it for me.

larryz

Platinum Member
Really? You don't like Geddy Lee's bass playing? Say what you will about about Neil's drumming or lyrics; Geddy's voice, or his and Alex's songwriting (as I often do myself), but strictly as a bass player, Geddy's one of my all-time faves.

Gavin's not too shabby, either!
Just saw Rush last year and for as much people love or hate Rush, anyone can easily tell Geddy is one of the best out there. Alex is my all-time favorite guitarist. Man is he just wow, awesome. Actually, Peart is probably the weak link in the band at this point. He look old and tired (forgive me Neil...you do). Out of shape.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Just saw Rush last year and for as much people love or hate Rush, anyone can easily tell Geddy is one of the best out there. Alex is my all-time favorite guitarist. Man is he just wow, awesome. Actually Peart is probably the weak link in the band at this point. He look old and tired (forgive me Neil...you do). Out of shape.
Absolutely! For as much as I partook in the idolatry of NP back in the early '80s, I feel the same way about the band now: only flashes of cool in the songwriting, but Alex's guitar playing and Geddy's bass playing have at last won me over to where they're far and away my favorite elements in that band, and some of my favorite players around too boot... while Neil seems to be coasting through the last half of his career despite the Gruber / Erskine lessons.

(30 years ago how the drums would flow with passion and precision / But now his mind is dark and dulled by stiffness and indecision).

MikeM

Platinum Member
Come on guys, when Sticks sees this he's going to have an aneurysm when he writes his reply.
S4D knows I'll always be a dyed-in-the-wool NP fan. There's nothing he can possibly do now to ever undo what I consider to be great and brilliant drumming during his first 10 years with Rush.

Doesn't mean his statue in my backyard will still get a fresh gold plating every year, though.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Guitar - Joe Satriani
Bass - Billy Sheehan
Keyboards and Vocals - Steve Walsh (Kansas)
Drums - Gregg Bissonette

Or Blind Faith

Or Black Country Communion

Or Rush

Peace and goodwill.

S

sticks4drums

Come on guys, when Sticks sees this he's going to have an aneurysm when he writes his reply.
Its all good. I am slowly learning that everyone is allowed their own opinion on here. I figured I should grow up some time. Mike has given me some tough love to help me along. I am 47 after all. I am running out of time. :)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Last time I had a real old-time psychedelic rock band:

Jimi - guitar and vocs
John Cale - guitar, vocals, keys, viola and whatever else he feels like playing
Ray Manzarek - bass pedal and keys
Keith Moon - drums

Now for my ultimate prog band:

Vocals - Peter Gabriel
Sax & flute - Mel Collins
Guitar - Andy Summers
Keys & violin - Eddie Jobson
KC's 80s rhythm section: Bill Bruford & Tony Levin

nickg

Silver Member
johnny mathis and astrid gilberto on vocals.

vinnie paul on drums.

kenny g on sax.

jose feliciano on guitar.

larry graham on bass.

rick wakeman on keyboards.

zamfir on panflute.

myron cohen on accordian.

stevie nicks on tambourine.

tony orlando and dawn along with slim whitman and red sovine on backing vocals.

sounds SUPER to me!!!!!

Pachikara-Tharakan

Silver Member
Last time I had a real old-time psychedelic rock band:

Jimi - guitar and vocs
John Cale - guitar, vocals, keys, viola and whatever else he feels like playing
Ray Manzarek - bass pedal and keys
Keith Moon - drums

Now for my ultimate prog band:

Vocals - Peter Gabriel
Sax & flute - Mel Collins
Guitar - Andy Summers
Keys & violin - Eddie Jobson
KC's 80s rhythm section: Bill Bruford & Tony Levin
I always loved Ray with Bass pedal and keyboards, how could he do that the same time, quite talented!

Ray - Bass Pedal.Keyboards, vocals
Keith Moon- Drums, vocals
Buddy Guy- Guitar Vocals

(If Buddy and Ray could afford Moon's unpredicatble playing, may not last but give it a try :))

drumafia

Kieth Richards ..Rythem guitar
Joe Banamassa..Lead guitar
Chris Squire...Bass
Kieth Emerson...Keyboards
Neil.........Drums
Chris Cornell....Vocals

HenrikEckmann

Hmm.. This is harder than expected, there are so many great players.
I won't necessarily call this ultimate, too many choices, but here is something I would love to hear:

Carmine Appice drums
Billy Sheehan bass
Jan Akkerman guitar
Dave Grohl vox & guitar