Greatest opening drum intro

Simple but great . Like a lot of these intros if we disassociated them from the song we’d 🤷🏻‍♂️. So yeah the technicality and sound of some is far better than others without taking into account the song/music, but that’s what does it for me for a lot of the intros ….. the songs are great and they fit so well .

I'm trying to remember the name of the track in Tony Mcalpine's Hundreds of thousands album, I Imagine drummer Deen Castronovo plays that intro (snare) two handed and does sort of a paradiddle between snare and toms, but I am challenging myself to play the snare one handed and the toms also one handed and see if I can replicate.. (impossible without gravity blast).

I’m not sure if this one counts because it sounds completely programmed. Although, it’s a great tune, I always hate when it gets called on the bandstand. It’s kind of hard to pull off!

Again programmed or played by a human, the thread was about a drum intro, it never specified it had to be a human.. and a programed drum part is still a drum part.

A whole lot of greatness already listed in this thread, and in just a couple days!

I'm consistently impressed by Brian Downey from Thin Lizzy. The first 27 seconds of this song, Sugar Blues from the 1980 Chinatown album, still knocks me out after decades of listening to it. The whole album is full of impressive and motivating drum playing, and I'm looking forward to my own skills progressing enough where I can give it a try, too.

A whole lot of greatness already listed in this thread, and in just a couple days!

I'm consistently impressed by Brian Downey from Thin Lizzy. The first 27 seconds of this song, Sugar Blues from the 1980 Chinatown album, still knocks me out after decades of listening to it. The whole album is full of impressive and motivating drum playing, and I'm looking forward to my own skills progressing enough where I can give it a try, too.

Holly triplet, Batman !

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dave Lombardo, the track Criminally Insane has a very simple yet great drum intro Also from Slayer but different drummer (Paul Bostaph) the intro to the song Killing Fields, he used quads to achieve that. Or Igor Cavalera from Sepultura the intro to Territory is legendary as well as the intro to... I believe the track is Stronger than hate. Very underrated drummer IMO.
or Megadeth with the intro to Five Magics was very popular at the time RIP Nick Menza.

Back