Got the Shu installed

Chris Whitten

As I posted on the other drum forum. Often the least desirable spot to place your bass drum mic is exactly in front of the impact spot, a few inches from the impact. These mounts are a convenient time saver, but that's all IMHO.

drumnut87

nice :D

experiement with the positioning and mic placement, find a sweet spot that works for you :D

mpthomson

As I posted on the other drum forum. Often the least desirable spot to place your bass drum mic is exactly in front of the impact spot, a few inches from the impact. These mounts are a convenient time saver, but that's all IMHO.
I've used these mounts for a while, once you're used to them it's easy enough to move the placement of the mic by adjusting the lengths of the various elastics, so that the equilibrium point isn't dead centre. None of my three BDs with Shus have a central mic position.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I concur with the posts here: experimentation is your friend. Take a day to play around with changing the mic position. Make incremental changes in height, angle, position of the mic (also moving it forward and backward on the mount) as well as the position of the SHU until you find the sound you're after. The microphone won't lie. It will be evident when you hit the sweet spot. Trust your ears.

I’ll agree with this. Many times I’ve had sound guys moving the mic around for placement that they can work with to get what they’re after.
If you’re doing a one band tour ( thing ) then it could be very beneficial.

wildbill

Platinum Member
You've got to get the cable in there, but Vintage Old School has a slick idea I saw on another forum.
A small hole at the bottom of the reso head for the cable to run through, rather than drilling through the shell.
Post #7 in this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/got-the-shu-installed.186921/
Hope you don't mind me linking to your post VOS, but I think it's a brilliant idea.

My shell with the Shu was already drilled when I got it, but it looks like a clean job.

Last edited:

Otto

Platinum Member
Thanks for sharing your impressions/results when you get it tested! I'm really interested.