Got something new

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So the new busy band I've joined has informed me that they also do these acoustic gigs in smaller venues. At first they asked if I had a cajon, and I swore years ago I'd never play one. They explained to me that it's just a space issue (and probably a volume issue too), but they were confident I could "play quietly" on a real set of drums, so long as I fit into the space they were given.

Well, not to brag, but this morning I started searching for the older Pearl Rhythm Traveler (with the 20x8 bass drum) and lo and behold, I found one! The seller was only a half-hour away from me so I made the trip over to his house and in his garage, sat a used (but not abused) complete Rhythm Traveler kit. It was the typical "I bought it for my son, but he discovered the guitar" thing, and he even tried to give it to his sisters kids, but they never took it. He basically wanted everything GONE. He had extra cymbals, an extra snare and a dilapidated floor tom, all the hardware, plus a vintage Ludwig Spur-Lock hi-hat stand.

I took all of it for $130! Used Rhythm Travelers I've found guys are asking at least $350. It's so cool when I find a seller who doesn't care about what it is, he just wants to move it out of his house. This one needs heads, and a good cleaning, but I couldn't find any damage or rust. This was quite the quick find.

I'll clean it up before I post any pictures. I probably won't even use the toms. I just needed the bass drum. I have a 5x14 steel Sensitone I like to use. Boom.
I can probably sell the Ludwig hi-hat for close to $100 and then I've made up the money I spent. Shallow bass drums are much more space-saving than say, a 18x14 bop bass drum - so I'm pretty sure I can fit into a 3' x 3' square. I could stand up and play it too.

I consider finding a cocktail kit, but I have principles - cocktail drums never sound like a full kit to me, so I think it's a bad choice because you can never get a nice, fat thud-dy sound if you play anything by Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles, and they're even thin when used for funky quick stuff. Besides, I think I'm too short for a 15x24 shell!

Deafmoon

I hated the Cajon for a long time till I saw Terry Bozzio perform at The Iridium on it and he blew me away! He had India Ankle Bells on and a mic'd up Cajon and wailed the bejeezus out of it! I would use one now for a small venue if the music called for it. I used to do a folk gig where I played brushes the entire night. At first I felt constricted but after doing it, I loved it. It forced me to think long and hard on my dynamics coming from my kit. The only time I picked yup a drum stick was for a cross-stick pattern. Every kind of experience has a certain something to offer us. Be open minded and willing to take it on. And, if it becomes a disaster that you will never do again, well now you know. And, you'll have a cool story to tell when you get old, like me! (LOL)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I hated the Cajon for a long time till I saw Terry Bozzio perform at The Iridium on it and he blew me away! He had India Ankle Bells on and a mic'd up Cajon and wailed the bejeezus out of it! I would use one now for a small venue if the music called for it. I used to do a folk gig where I played brushes the entire night. At first I felt constricted but after doing it, I loved it. It forced me to think long and hard on my dynamics coming from my kit. The only time I picked yup a drum stick was for a cross-stick pattern. Every kind of experience has a certain something to offer us. Be open minded and willing to take it on. And, if it becomes a disaster that you will never do again, well now you know. And, you'll have a cool story to tell when you get old, like me! (LOL)
I totally appreciate a good Cajon player. It’s just the ergonomics I can’t get with. I’m short and my arms aren’t that long and being hunched over all night is not my cup of tea if my chiropractor has any say about it. I doubt Terry Bozzio will be playing his for four hours doing cover tunes.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
We need pics! It's so common to see you buried behind enormous kicks and big toms. This is almost mind blowing. Almost.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang good deal Bo-the little kicks with the Rhythm travelers are little cannons. You can put a cymbal mount on kick so no cymbal stand and cymbal will be in kick foot print. Does the larger RT kick have the flimsy kick pedal like the 16X13 kick? It's pitifully simple but works like a charm amazingly.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I totally appreciate a good Cajon player. It’s just the ergonomics I can’t get with.
Better ergonomics DW/LP do it right ..... if what you're striving for is to replace the bass drum with a Cajon. But your Rhythm Traveler was cheaper, for sure.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Who else was extremely disappointed when reviewing this thread? Given Bo’s storied history, I was expecting something a bit more grandiose than a Rhythm Traveler.

IBitePrettyHard

What are your plans for cymbals on this kit? I thought I'd bring up the Sabian Big & Ugly XSR Monarch ride (not the XSR Brilliant). It's the perfect low-volume ride IMO. Nice woody stick definition, dry, crashable, and you wouldn't have to tiptoe around while playing it. And it's cheap!

20" XSR Monarch Ride
22" XSR Monarch Ride

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Who else was extremely disappointed when reviewing this thread? Given Bo’s storied history, I was expecting something a bit more grandiose than a Rhythm Traveler.
Disappointed? The parameters: must fit into a 3x3 square of stage space. Can’t get any more grandiose than that, no?

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Nice find.
I would need to find a shallow bass drum too for a duo gig I do on a postage stamp sized "stage". I might just get a cheap drum and have it sliced.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I had a RT before. Interesting kit. The main trouble was the bass spur that hold nothing. You’ll certainly need something else to keep the bass drum from crawling.

brentcn

Platinum Member
For this kind of thing, I used to play a cajon, but now I bring an 18X14 bop kick, pedal, and snare. No hi-hat, no cymbals of any kind. I often muffle the snare with a towel or big fat snare donut. My lead hand will play a brush on the snare, a shaker, or small tambourine.

I've though about getting one of these, and just connecting it to the vocal PA...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Prolog--logjam-prolog-piezo-stomper?&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3216114557&product_id=Prolog&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Drums%20&%20Percussion&adgroup=Drums%20&%20Percussion%20-%20Percussion%20Stomp%20Boxes&placement=google&creative=203982059410&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAiZPvBRDZARIsAORkq7fZ7s2PbeJnfIRcrMPDuTS70-dZccIyzW_B9M9OBJ4OF3HqBeSDSHAaAuaBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds