Got some new hardware today

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
With my return to the DW drums, I decided to spend some money and get some new hardware. Now I have a complete set of 5000 hardware. I’m a simple 4-piece groover, so I don’t need much. So I picked up two straight cymbal stands, a snare stand, hi hat, throne and pedal. I debated on mounting the one rack tom, so I did it with their stand mount tom holder and it works great! It’s nice to get away from carrying an extra snare stand for the rack tom. I’m now ready for Wednesday’s streaming show!

88F02246-261D-4918-82B9-986D01AF5A46.jpeg93F9E30D-AB87-485A-BB07-33F63259BEAB.jpegF82FEECF-211B-48DE-AA81-5433E5990B7C.jpeg

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Its nice that it matches, but it does look heavy. I guess if you only have three cymbal stands and no extra snare stand, it probably balances out.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
How do you like the tom on the mount instead of in the basket?

I must admit, I'm so used to seeing your tom in a basket this looks strange for some reason. I think it's because I dont look at lefty kits very often, so your lefty kit has somehow imprinted snare basket on me.

gish

Your current set up is almost exactly like my Starclassic set up was for a while, with the rack tom mounted to the cymbal stand. I’m all for cutting weight for live work, and mounting the tom this way is the lightest option. However I just got tired of fiddling with it setup after setup, and went back to a snare stand. More weight in the hardware bag, but I much prefer it this way. Curious to see your thoughts after you’ve had it for a while.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Enjoy! DW hardware is some of the best.

From my own experience and ownership, for slightly lower price point, I used the 3000-series of double-braced hardware all around and it holds up equally well as the 5. Then I got rid of that and now use all 6000-series flat-based stuff (the thicker version not the Ultralights); the only sacrifice is using a separate snare stand for the high tom but a) like Gish, I like mine that way and 2) the flat-based stuff could probably support a tom holder but the wobbling after a while would probably drive me nutty.

Darth Vater

Your current set up is almost exactly like my Starclassic set up was for a while, with the rack tom mounted to the cymbal stand. I’m all for cutting weight for live work, and mounting the tom this way is the lightest option. However I just got tired of fiddling with it setup after setup, and went back to a snare stand. More weight in the hardware bag, but I much prefer it this way. Curious to see your thoughts after you’ve had it for a while.

Gish, here's a tip for you. Get a little tape measure. Get your tom arm clamp exactly where you want it. Now measure from the floor to the bottom edge of the tom clamp. Now take a picture with your phone of how your cymbal stand tripod sits next to your bass drum. I use this method with TWO hanging rack toms and it works great and takes like 10 seconds per side when setting up. Key is to leave your clamp as is once you have it set properly. Don't take it off the stand when tearing down. Also, If you can get memory locks for your tom L-arms it really becomes a breeze. It might sound complicated but it really isn't. You'll memorize the figures after awhile. For instance, my 12" tom clamp is 28" off the floor, my 10" is 29.5". Boom! done. ;)

gish

Gish, here's a tip for you. Get a little tape measure. Get your tom arm clamp exactly where you want it. Now measure from the floor to the bottom edge of the tom clamp. Now take a picture with your phone of how your cymbal stand tripod sits next to your bass drum. I use this method with TWO hanging rack toms and it works great and takes like 10 seconds per side when setting up. Key is to leave your clamp as is once you have it set properly. Don't take it off the stand when tearing down. Also, If you can get memory locks for your tom L-arms it really becomes a breeze. It might sound complicated but it really isn't. You'll memorize the figures after awhile. For instance, my 12" tom clamp is 28" off the floor, my 10" is 29.5". Boom! done. ;)
Good tip my friend. If I decide to give the clamp another go, I will certainly keep your tip in mind. However I am very happy with my 1 rack tom mounted in a snare basket, particularly my custom snare stand I rigged up. Really like the stability, and dig how it looks as well.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It took a while to get the tom right, but it’s all memory locked in place and the mount will probably never come off the stand. I’m still getting used to not using a snare stand too.