Got screwed over and now I need a new kit.. Advice needed

Hold the phone... Yamaha 9000 series from late 70's that's made in Taiwan? These aren't Recording Custom quality drums. They aren't bad quality, but they are not early Recording Customs. From the little bit of reading up on the different lines of Yamaha 9000 series drums from the late 70's, many people have said that they have these kits used for dirt cheap.

I would do some more investigation on exactly what model these drums are, what they are made of, and what kits of this same type have sold for in the past. My initial impression is that this person is trying to pass these off as early Recording Customs, but they aren't.

Hold the phone... Yamaha 9000 series from late 70's that's made in Taiwan? These aren't Recording Custom quality drums. They aren't bad quality, but they are not early Recording Customs. From the little bit of reading up on the different lines of Yamaha 9000 series drums from the late 70's, many people have said that they have these kits used for dirt cheap.

I would do some more investigation on exactly what model these drums are, what they are made of, and what kits of this same type have sold for in the past. My initial impression is that this person is trying to pass these off as early Recording Customs, but they aren't.

My understanding is that they're Yamaha 9000s which were later renamed to recording customs? I am still trying to contact the seller but he hasn't answered.

Yes, the 9000 did end up evolving in to the Recording Custom, but there were different versions of the 9000 that were made at the same time. Some in Japan with higher quality woods and others in Taiwan with cheaper woods. I would imaging they did this to create a "pro" model and an "intermediate" model to fit different price points.

As I said, do some research on Made in Taiwan Yamaha 9000 series drums and find out just what the person is selling. It may end up being way overpriced.

According to this :

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahadrums/drumvault/default.asp

they probably are a pre recording custom drum as the shell is a Birch/Camellia composite

The 9 designates a 9000 series.

Though I haven't seen these drums in person, I'd say with the photos provided that these are in fact 100% birch shells and the kit is from 1978/79.

Apparently these 9000's were made both in Taiwan and Japan during this period and both used the TT-9xx badge.

Referring to this kit as a Recording Custom is probably misleading. More accurately it should be referred to as a 9000 series that pre-dated the Recording Customs, with like construction.

Good catch on the Taiwan badge.. I wouldn't have noticed. After doing some reading it seems like they should be the birch shells, but I still haven't heard back from the seller.

The main thing I am looking for is something that is a clear upgrade over my gretsch catalina club kit.. That's ultimately why I sold it. I am still waiting to hear back from the Yamaha seller. I am also looking into the Tama starclassic 100% birch that 2underpar suggested. I've also continued looking around the area for other kits.

well, a step up from the Catalina is the Gretsch Renoun series. You can find really great deals for those too. Mapex Saturn is a good step up too.

You probably didn't get too screwed... old kits, unless lavishly pampered are sometimes more damaged than they appear and that is a definite compromise.

At least you got rid of the cats and are finding some better quality stuff with cash in hand.

You probably didn't get too screwed... old kits, unless lavishly pampered are sometimes more damaged than they appear and that is a definite compromise.

At least you got rid of the cats and are finding some better quality stuff with cash in hand.

That's true.. I'm more upset that I don't have a kit for the time being.. But you do make a good point.. I guess I'll never know!

well, a step up from the Catalina is the Gretsch Renoun series. You can find really great deals for those too. Mapex Saturn is a good step up too.

Actually the Marquee series is between the Catalina and Renown these days.

Hope you can score those Yamaha 9000's. Those will be all birch shells. 9000 series had split lugs ..... later Recording Customs had high tension (long) lugs. 8000 series shells were mahogany/birch. 7000 series shells were mahogany/camellia.​

Hope you can score those Yamaha 9000's. Those will be all birch shells. 9000 series had split lugs ..... later Recording Customs had high tension (long) lugs. 8000 series shells were mahogany/birch. 7000 series shells were mahogany/camellia.​

You and me both.. I have sent the seller multiple emails and I still haven't heard from him.

Back