Got screwed over and now I need a new kit.. Advice needed

So long story short, I found this kit that was a 5 piece slingerland from the 70s that I absolutely fell in love with.. It had a very very good price, so I called the guy up and said I would buy it. He said we could meet up today and I could get it. So a few days before I sold my gretsch Catalina club in order to help pay for the kit. And then last night the guy calls me and says that he decided to sell the kit to another person.. So now I have no kit and I'm gonna have to get a new one. The problem is that I don't have enough money to really get anything special and I can't find any good priced used kits in my area (Pittsburgh). So I was wondering if there are any specific kits I should be looking for that would be an upgrade over what I had. Or if there are any online stores that have a solid selection of used kits.

The only kit I found in my area is a Yamaha 9000 recording kit from 79. Not sure how good those kits are and the seller is asking 700.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Fish

pgm554

Platinum Member
So long story short, I found this kit that was a 5 piece slingerland from the 70s that I absolutely fell in love with.. It had a very very good price, so I called the guy up and said I would buy it. He said we could meet up today and I could get it. So a few days before I sold my gretsch Catalina club in order to help pay for the kit. And then last night the guy calls me and says that he decided to sell the kit to another person.. So now I have no kit and I'm gonna have to get a new one. The problem is that I don't have enough money to really get anything special and I can't find any good priced used kits in my area (Pittsburgh). So I was wondering if there are any specific kits I should be looking for that would be an upgrade over what I had. Or if there are any online stores that have a solid selection of used kits.

The only kit I found in my area is a Yamaha 9000 recording kit from 79. Not sure how good those kits are and the seller is asking 700.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Fish
Yamaha 9000 is a top of the line.
700 ain't bad of it's in good condition.

I see a Rogers for $775 back there.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/5241236699.html

also a Slingy @GC:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Slingerland/Vintage-1970s-6-Piece-COUNTRY-ROAD.gc

Last edited:

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Would it be a decent upgrade over the gretsch club Catalina that I sold?
Yes and yes a thousand times over. They were top-of-the-line in their day and provided they're in good condition I'd say they'd be a great buy. The hardware is well thought out, the shells are good quality the 9000 series were very well thought-through.

2underpar

Silver Member
I'm from Pittsburgh also. I've been eyeing up some Tama Starclassic's Birch at Music Go Round. Honestly I need another kit like I need a hole in my head so I'll relinquish and give you a little insight.

They have 2 Starclassic kits. The one I thought was a great deal is gray swirl. They wanted $599 but said they would sell them to me for $400.00.

22" Bass with 10", 12" and 14" toms. No snare.

The other is a very nice 6 piece Tama Starclassic birch but I wasn't interested in it an really didn't talk price. I believe they were asking $650.00

Music Go Round is in Monroeville.

2underpar

Silver Member
And as for those Rogers... They have been on CL for quite some time. I think that's full retail for that kit.

If you want my Catalina Maples let me know. The price would be right. I'm off tomorrow.

Just PM me.

Bill

PS. I know of a few other kits in the area (very nice Pork Pie and others) if you want my help.

2underpar

Silver Member
And I will add: Those 9000's look like a sweet kit! Check out his other items for sale. Maybe you can get a deal on that mic also.

wildbill

Platinum Member
The 9000's could be a good deal.
Some of those kits that show up around here have been gigged to death - really beat up.
So, a lot depends on condition.
And of course, if you have any size, or number of pieces requirements.

wildbill

Platinum Member
1979 Yamaha 9000 Recording Custom Drum Set - 24", 12", 13", 16" $700
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/5278938093.html
Hope this comes out right. Copy and paste from my phone.

Yep, yep, yep - came out right and lookin' good.

fishstix94 - those are good drums, looking to be in good shape, for a good price.

Only thing I notice is that the tom mount on the bass drum seems to be forward of the stock position.
Could be an optical illusion or a camera trick though.
I'd ask if the bass drum has been cut down in depth at some point.

Here's some other pics for comparison: https://www.google.com/search?q=Yamaha+9000+Recording+Custom&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIz6jlvp3ayAIVBiomCh3u8wVB&biw=1366&bih=659

I have contacted the seller of the Yamaha 9000 and he still hasn't answered so I guess it's a waiting game! As far as the Tom mounts go it doesn't look like they're included. But I have a snare stand and I usually play a 4 piece and I also know a guy who could hook me up with a mount, so that isn't a huge concern.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Compatible Yamaha mounts will be available quite cheaply used.

A question for the more knowledgeable. Are the 9000 Series mounts compatible with modern Yamaha hardware? As far as I can tell, the hex rods are the same dimensions (albeit shorter) now. If that's the case, you can definitely pick up some inexpensive Yamaha mounts.

2underpar

Silver Member
Fish,

I replied to the PM. It doesn't say that it sent and is not in my sent folder. If you didn't get it let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

Icetech

Gold Member
Man.. wish those yamahas were near me.. i love yamaha, and it seems they really think about the drummer when they design their hardware.. Sadly CL here is dominated by one guy that snatches up everything then relists it for much higher prices. I will never support someone like that. :(