Got nicknames?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
If so let's hear them.

I earned the name Clawhammer on Halloween 2017

After a house party gig, I got my full sized Ford van stuck on someone's lawn. AAA came all the way out and said he wouldn't help me...what a jagoff. What choice did I have? I got a clawhammer and after much toil, dug myself out about 20 feet, enough to roll down a hill that thankfully intersected with the guys driveway. I did get home before dawn. And man did I tear up that guys lawn. (I had it fixed)

So Clawhammer.

in high school I was:

Sven because of my Swedish heritage

Mephy - short for Mephistopheles - because I was one of only 5 metal heads in a Catholic high school, and everyone thought we were devil worshippers

never have really had any nicknames since

Dutch = My last name is Holland

Spider = BGSU College soccer team nickname. Ended up in the goal netting more than a few times. Made a comeback a few years ago when I started amassing quite a collection of Spyder brand skiwear (shirts and jackets)

Lotion = Beer induced "stage name" after a band practice a decade ago. Also my Facebook moniker (Lo Tion)

If so let's hear them.

I earned the name Clawhammer on Halloween 2017

After a house party gig, I got my full sized Ford van stuck on someone's lawn. AAA came all the way out and said he wouldn't help me...what a jagoff. What choice did I have? I got a clawhammer and after much toil, dug myself out about 20 feet, enough to roll down a hill that thankfully intersected with the guys driveway. I did get home before dawn. And man did I tear up that guys lawn. (I had it fixed)

So Clawhammer.

"Thunderfoot"

On tour with a band I had a pedal break one night and then a bass drum head break another night and we stayed in this beautiful house as part one of our shows and I stepped in just the wrong place and my foot went straight into this deck.....so "thunderfoot" stuck.

I love the idea of them, but I’ve yet to know anyone toward whom I didn't feel silly and disrespectful when using it. Whether it was the ex-boss (his on-air cutesy nickname, which all the staff used), an elderly gentleman at church (shortened version of his last name), I always felt led to afford them more respect than they seemed to think they deserve.

In a couple cases, they’ve been the self-christened nick-name, which is the eye-rolling worst.

Last edited:
In little league baseball, I somehow picked up the name Slick. I don't recall what led to it. It may have been in reference to some aspect of my playing. It's not as though I styled my hair with Vaseline or attended practice wielding cans of motor oil.

My nickname is now C.M. According to @larryace, that should stand for Classic Maple. The association doesn't quite fit, though, as Ludwig isn't my drum maker. But don't worry; it won't be long before a Pearl line has a C.M. abbreviation. Pearl changes its series names every three our four hours.

Last edited:
"Thunderfoot"

On tour with a band I had a pedal break one night and then a bass drum head break another night and we stayed in this beautiful house as part one of our shows and I stepped in just the wrong place and my foot went straight into this deck.....so "thunderfoot" stuck.

Ha! That's right out of a Paul Bunyan tall tale. I'll reinforce my floors if you ever visit. And please -- bring your own bass pedal.

I don’t have a nickname. In Australia almost everyone does because we shorten everyones names but my Dad hates names that can be shortened (he’s Philip and hates being called Phil), so brothers and I all have single syllable names. Weirdly dad relaxed this rule for my sister and she has a two syllable name and actually has nicknames. Ordinarily my having a one syllable name wouldn’t stop people giving nicknames, they’d just lengthen it but Mark doesn’t work with the traditional Australian lengthenings (Steve-o, Stevie, Bazza— that’s Barry) and I refuse to be called Marcus. So no nickname. I occasionally get called by my last name (Griffin) and someone in high school tried Captain Griffindog for a while, and when Harry Potter was big I suffered through a lot of Griffyndors— but I soon put a stop to that. So normally I’m just plain Mark.

I guess to make up for it I give out a lot of nicknames. There’s almost no one in my circle of friends I call by their real name, and a lot of them now have permanent nicknames of my devising.

Snick/Snickers - When I was in college, I used to hangout with some sketchy people and one of my friend owned a dog. I once got flat out drunk at my friend's house and tried to eat the dog's poop thinking it was a bar of Snickers.

I'm now called Neffy as my last name is Neff.

The only thing that comes to mind is that friends of mine referred to the event of leaving (a party or going out) early without notifying anyone 'een Basje doen'.
That's Dutch and translates to 'doing a Basje'. Obviously you figured out my name by now and the - je suffix was to make the event of leaving a noun.
I occurred a couple of times that i went out with friends and wanted to leave to go home, but they always said 'just one more beer' and that always turned out to be a lot more. So in my brilliant (drunk) mind i decided that the best way to handle this was to avoid the discussion all together and just leave.
Eventually i stopped doing that, because my friends were worried if something happened (didn't pick up the phone or responded to text messages because i was sound asleep at home) and since then i always mentioned that i left. But it makes a nice story ;)

" RHYTHM " as I started dj-ing in the 80s and when I started to gig around in bands that name stuck also with musicians and I still have that nickname and people still call me it.

Anything that starts with G.. G-man, G-money(way off), G-dude, a few more.

through a misunderstanding I'm called Papa Smurf by one of my best friends, and Smurf by others cause of that.
My ex calls me Hagrid. A few people have referred to me as Thor.
My name is Benedict, and so a lad at work and a girl in the pub call me Dickie. Oddly enough my brother used to call me that too :)

Back