Got nicknames?

My good friends call me Shum most of the time, last name is Shuman. Not sure if that counts. Since childhood I’ve always called my brother ‘Chuck’ his real name is Daniel. Oh yea, and he calls me ‘Meat’. So Shum and Meat...but only my bro calls me Meat and only I call him Chuck. It seems most people I’m fond of I end up giving a nickname.

Ha! That's right out of a Paul Bunyan tall tale. I'll reinforce my floors if you ever visit. And please -- bring your own bass pedal.

It was just the perfect storm of events hahah - it has haunted me though ;-)

The closest I've come to a nickname was "Cousin It", or "Captain Caveman", because my hair was one length and past my waist, but it didn't really catch on. It was more of the occasional razzing, especially from those who typically saw me with a pony tail and then would see me without.
I got called or told I looked like Greg Allman more than once. (I don't/didn't)

The longest my hair ever got was shoulder length. It started driving me crazy. I had to take it off for comfort.

I've had a shaved head since 1999. It started when I decided to cut my own hair with a set of electric clippers. Spontaneously, I took it down to stubble. Reviews were positive, and I liked the convenience. Two weeks later, I started using a razor for a smooth look. The rest is history.

I haven't paid for a haircut in twenty-one years. Thousands of dollars have been preserved. But that's not my motive. I just like my shaved head.

I’ve only had a couple of nicknames, probably because it’s hard to shorten Al! One was “Europe” because I had long curly hair that looked like a perm (like the lead singer of the band Europe Joey Tempest had at the time), and “Lush” (another hair reference based on a Married With Children episode)...the hair left and so did my nicknames!!! :ROFLMAO: Plain old Al suits me fine...:)

I haven't paid for a haircut in twenty-one years. Thousands of dollars have been preserved. But that's not my motive. I just like my shaved head.
Same here, only mine is long. And mostly missing at this point. No haircuts since 17. That's 27+ years now.

At one point all of it was to about my waist, including my bangs. I let a chick I dated "trim" it. She was supposed to only take 2". She took about a foot. That was 20 years ago. It's about half as long as it used to be now because its falling out.

I never had to get past the bugs me stage of growing it. The annoyances I found were getting it caught in things, like windows, sunroofs, doors, mailboxes, vending machines, you get the idea.

My nickname is derived from my full name (like what “Bill” is to “William”), but, it being a Greek name, and seeing as a good lot of you all can’t pronounce “gyro”, I’ll leave it at that.

Other than that, I was nicknamed “Big E” on my first day of law school some time ago by one “Easy” Mike. I’m only 6’ tall (and pretty thin), so I don’t know why he gave me that name. Still, we became fast friends. Never got around to why he gave me that name, though.

But I have no problem with nicknames. As long as they’re not used to demean, I find them to be a sign of affection.

Nicknames & aliases: Mac, Stogie, Frank, Miami, The Jaded Roue', Sherman (as in General William Tecumseh Sherman), Mario, Houston, ....... there may be some I've forgotten. All but one were given to me.

0)+

The giving of a nickname to oneself is the worst. I’ve never met someone who has given them self a nickname who hasn’t thoroughly lived down to my expectations.

I played in a band with a grown man (in his sixties) who came up with the nick-name for him self, "Alien-made".

"Um... no, I refuse to call you that."

"Well, what do you want to call me?"

"F 'n idiot"

Honestly, our relationship soured after that. (True story.)

hahahaha I love it. Also going to go out on a limb and guess “Alien-made” was a lead guitarist?

No, "Freakin' Idiot" was an absolutely talentless bass player.

No, "Freakin' Idiot" was an absolutely talentless bass player.
The worst kind. Bane of my existence are “bass players” (generally guitarists who think bass must be easy because “only 4 strings”. When you find a good bassist it’s like finding gold (at least where I am anyway, no one seems to just learn bass). I finally found a good one and it’s just the best.

The worst kind. Bane of my existence are “bass players” (generally guitarists who think bass must be easy because “only 4 strings”. When you find a good bassist it’s like finding gold (at least where I am anyway, no one seems to just learn bass). I finally found a good one and it’s just the best.

I've played in bands with great bass players, I tolerated this guy for years. I play bass, although drums are my primary instrument. I once stated that he was the fourth best bassist in the band. (A five piece band.) The lead guitarist, drummer (me), and sound men were actual bass players.

I'll be good now.

Back