Got any tips for building up speed on the kicker?

Jalli

Hi everyone. I for one have been wanting to increase my speed on the doublekicker for some time now.
I just want to know if you guys have any good exercises that'd come in handy. I've been doing a lot of paradiddles with my feet and I guess it worked because my doublekicker skills have grown ever since I started doing them paradiddles.
As I said before, I just want some tips and tricks or exercises to build up my double kicker speed.

play relaxed, and if possible copy tim and practice while watching tv or doing something else.

You might find that your right foot is naturally capable of much higher speeds than your left(assuming you're right handed). Practice doing straight single strokes on your left foot at the fastest pace that will allow you to keep it constant. Practice practice practice and you're on your way to having left/right foot equality. You will find that once your left foot can keep up, you'll be able to play significantly faster.

Derek Roddy has some videos on youtube like the following, which can be of great help.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3SLe6VjmE

You might find that your right foot is naturally capable of much higher speeds than your left(assuming you're right handed). Practice doing straight single strokes on your left foot at the fastest pace that will allow you to keep it constant. Practice practice practice and you're on your way to having left/right foot equality. You will find that once your left foot can keep up, you'll be able to play significantly faster.

Derek Roddy has some videos on youtube like the following, which can be of great help.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3SLe6VjmE

Wow, that's great thanks. Wouldn't it also work to just play some singlekicker songs with my left foot? (I'm right handed)

Yep that'll help out a lot, recently I've been playing all the single pedal parts in songs that I play too with my left foot and it's been helping me out a lot. Especially if you play to songs with lots of blastbeats and whatnot.

Back