Got a used Brooklyn bop kit

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Went a bit nuts and bought a used Gretsch Brooklyn bop kit in grey oyster. Private sale. It's in immaculate condition and looks stunning. Also came with a Ludwig LM400 Monroe keystone badge. Looks fairly recent. I already have a Supra in that size so I may sell it.

Gonna gig with these puppies this weekend. Looking forward to that!

Feast your eyes.

UqlUlw2.jpg

qQAK597.jpg

evilg99

Platinum Member
Hey, you got those, congrats!
I was watching them on Kijiji as well - these were up in Laval, right?

I'm in Nova Scotia but have a good friend in Montreal who was at the ready to go pick these up. I was deciding between those and a USA Custom bop kit in Curly Maple from Steve Maxwell's , I ended up deciding on the USA Customs, because I also got a screamin' deal. As good as yours.

Dave's drum shop in Ottawa has the exact same kit brand new for quite a bit more $$$..

Anyway, beautiful kit; it makes me happy they went to a good home...enjoy!

Is the bass drum an 18x16 or 18x14 ?

Groov-E

Silver Member
I actually called the day after you purchased them !

you got a greeeeeaat deal on those.

Congrats.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
It seems a lot of people had their eye on these. For me it was a spur of the moment impulse buy essentially. It was a good deal but it's still a lot of coin for me. But I'm happy with them.

It is the 18x14. 16" depth would have been a deal breaker for me. My criteria is standard sizes, tom mount on the bass drum and legs on the floor tom. This kit checked all the boxes. And a bonus Supra on top of it. I had a feeling it was a Supra. The listing said "Ludwig snare" and the pics were blurry and far away but I took a chance going there. Paid off. If I sell it how much should I ask?

evilg99

Platinum Member
I actually called the day after you purchased them !

you got a greeeeeaat deal on those.

Congrats.

No way Alex ! haha

Yup, great deal for sure. Even with shipping and a brokers' fee to my buddy, it still would have been worth it.

@drumdevil: If you wanted to sell the Supra....anywhere from $200-600 depending on age and condition. Would need to see it.

Groov-E

Silver Member
No way Alex ! haha

Yup, great deal for sure. Even with shipping and a brokers' fee to my buddy, it still would have been worth it.

@drumdevil: If you wanted to sell the Supra....anywhere from $200-600 depending on age and condition. Would need to see it.

This is too funny Neal, it's a small world indeed. DD9 you keep that kit as a hunting trophy.

Get your hustle on East Coast drummers, the market is unforgiving with sharks like us roaming the icy waters !

wildbill

Platinum Member
Really nice kit - I like it.

Unless you absolutely have to sell the Supra, I'd hang onto it.

Glad I'm not in Canada. You guys are cut throat up there.

evilg99

Platinum Member

LOL :)

Yeah, I have to agree about the supra...keep it if you can. Every drummer should have one. Or an Acrolite...or both.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member

I actually did not negotiate (I tried). This was the lowest they were willing to go after trying to sell for probably a year or so and I took it. $1500 for the 4 drums. I'm guessing roughly half price of new (in Canada). It looks brand new.

I already own a late 70's Supra but I'll hold on to this one for now. I'll actually use it this weekend with the kit. It has the Ludwig heads on and is really crisp. It has some splay so I suspect there were gaskets that were removed. I would have removed them as well. No internal muffler. So this snare can't be very old.

Last edited:

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Hey, you got those, congrats!
I was watching them on Kijiji as well - these were up in Laval, right?

I'm in Nova Scotia but have a good friend in Montreal who was at the ready to go pick these up. I was deciding between those and a USA Custom bop kit in Curly Maple from Steve Maxwell's , I ended up deciding on the USA Customs, because I also got a screamin' deal. As good as yours.

Dave's drum shop in Ottawa has the exact same kit brand new for quite a bit more $$$..

Anyway, beautiful kit; it makes me happy they went to a good home...enjoy!

Is the bass drum an 18x16 or 18x14 ?

Yes, those are the ones. Just looked at the Dave's Drum Shop site. Holy cow, I done good! I would never pay that much for drums.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Yes, those are the ones. Just looked at the Dave's Drum Shop site. Holy cow, I done good! I would never pay that much for drums.

Yeah, but just to be clear - Dave's Drum Shop is fantastic - competitive prices, great selection, and Dave is the man. Great deals, great new/used/vintage stuff - he takes trades and sells gear on consignment; etc, etc. Nobody wheels and deals like Dave.

And yes, you definitely done good!

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I've been to Dave's and even bought a kit from there about 6 years ago. Was a good deal. My comment was in no way directed at Dave or his pricing. New USA-made Gretsch drums are just expensive. No way around it.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I've been to Dave's and even bought a kit from there about 6 years ago. Was a good deal. My comment was in no way directed at Dave or his pricing. New USA-made Gretsch drums are just expensive. No way around it.

OK, cool. Yes absolutely - new Gretsch USA are crazy expensive.

taiko

The Gretsch Brooklyn is fantastic. I just picked up this kit, without the snare, from Steve Maxwell's shop and can't believe how good they sound. The bass drum is surprisingly full--sounds a lot like a 20" I had on another kit a while back. Great drums.

Attachments

• d8ruvkon57xrrfok9dgd.jpg
    d8ruvkon57xrrfok9dgd.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 413

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
The Gretsch Brooklyn is fantastic. I just picked up this kit, without the snare, from Steve Maxwell's shop and can't believe how good they sound. The bass drum is surprisingly full--sounds a lot like a 20" I had on another kit a while back. Great drums.

Those are gorgeous! I love that finish. Is that Mardi Gras?

Congrats!

taiko

Those are gorgeous! I love that finish. Is that Mardi Gras?

Congrats!

Yes, it's Mardi Gras. It looks much better in person. It has become my favorite finish. I really like the finish on your kit, too.

Last edited:

Artstar

Platinum Member

I agree.. best shell Gretsch has easily.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Well....since we're having a Grestch Bop Kit Bonanza here, I might as well add mine....also recently purchased from Steve Maxwell's
Curly Millenium Maple , full vintage build out.

I also just found a great used deal on a matching 20 x 14 Broadkaster bass drum, for times when I want a little more boom. Incoming!

Attachments

• IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 287

taiko

Well....since we're having a Grestch Bop Kit Bonanza here, I might as well add mine....also recently purchased from Steve Maxwell's

I also just found a great used deal on a matching 20 x 14 Broadkaster bass drum, for times when I want a little more boom. Incoming!

That's absolutely beautiful!

Groov-E

Silver Member

Is that a specisl edition brooklyn kit or usa custom Neal ?

Veeery nice !