Got a new project to work on

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I got a call from a friend of the family the other day who asked if I wanted some drums that belonged to his drummer of many years who just passed away. When I went to get them they were old Slingerlands from the 70s just like what mom and dad started me on in 1977. They’re a bit neglected but I think maybe the original owners family would like seeing them restored. So I’m in project mode for the next couple of weeks. Here’s what they look like now:

AEBA6CEF-B2C4-4C3D-AFFB-86BC203453D9.jpeg3DAAB616-3062-476A-8BA3-12E807427294.jpegD463D8E5-84EC-4CB7-9168-B7EE18DBC143.jpeg94E22103-9D14-433F-B5E6-4672A68C4F57.jpeg35E68221-9894-4B82-B111-D7C235354FD1.jpeg7C98B52C-AC52-4856-93B4-43897AE66783.jpeg57733B74-083F-4AA1-8409-F73422F6B2E0.jpegB626AD15-F6F2-437C-8007-5041646DC057.jpeg3845B517-6B54-4D06-A383-E3B162ABF732.jpeg

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Wow. Just source some rims, a bass drum hoop, T's 'n' claws ..... they'll be sweet.
Yeah, the list is made. Gotta do some sanding and gluing of some loose plies and there’s gonna be a ton of elbow grease polishing up the chrome, but it’ll be nice in the end. It’s a Slingy Charlie Watts kit: 8x12/16x16/14x22. Super heavy maple shells thanks to the black chrome wrap they used - explains why it’s never bubbled over the decades!

Old Dog new Cans

Wow Bo. Awesome. After restoring some Slingerlands, I've become quite a fan. I think it goes back to my childhood as well. Those'll be awesome.

Ransan

I got a call from a friend of the family the other day who asked if I wanted some drums that belonged to his drummer of many years who just passed away. When I went to get them they were old Slingerlands from the 70s just like what mom and dad started me on in 1977. They’re a bit neglected but I think maybe the original owners family would like seeing them restored. So I’m in project mode for the next couple of weeks. Here’s what they look like now:

View attachment 100098View attachment 100099View attachment 100100View attachment 100101View attachment 100102View attachment 100103View attachment 100104View attachment 100105View attachment 100106
Great score! I love drum restoration stories, there’s just not enough of them.

I am fixing to start on my Rogers MG, just pulled the bnbs from snare and stripped it down except for muffler giving me fits at the moment.
Before I decided on doing so, I called as many drum shops in the US as I could and got quite a lot of tips. Going to pick up some resos and new snare head today, some beeswax. My Novus 1 and 2 come in tomorrow and I can’t wait to dig in. I may start a thread on mine as well for posterity.

That kit will look great when you’re done, do you plan on keeping or flipping?
Good Luck!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Great score! I love drum restoration stories, there’s just not enough of them.

I am fixing to start on my Rogers MG, just pulled the bnbs from snare and stripped it down except for muffler giving me fits at the moment.
Before I decided on doing so, I called as many drum shops in the US as I could and got quite a lot of tips. Going to pick up some resos and new snare head today, some beeswax. My Novus 1 and 2 come in tomorrow and I can’t wait to dig in. I may start a thread on mine as well for posterity.

That kit will look great when you’re done, do you plan on keeping or flipping?
Good Luck!
I’m not sure. I’ve restored old Slingerlands before and back then it just pointed out to me why I’ve moved on to better engineered gear. I’ll see how the nostalgia hits me when it’s done. It would be ironic if I started my career on Slingerland and ended my career with Slingerlands. My dad would be laughing.

Ransan

I’m not sure. I’ve restored old Slingerlands before and back then it just pointed out to me why I’ve moved on to better engineered gear. I’ll see how the nostalgia hits me when it’s done. It would be ironic if I started my career on Slingerland and ended my career with Slingerlands. My dad would be laughing.
Yessr I hear ya.

Nostalgia is such an essence when it hits just right.
Nothing is better in present as you are swept away, whether it be a sight, or any other sensory overload, you somehow feel like you’ve stole a few moments back.

I may someday return to get a cb700 in Silver or even an Export in mirror chrome for that matter.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I still really like the sound of Slingerland's shell and bearing edge combo, but I agree the hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Modern quality control + modern hardware + the Slingerland shell dimensions would be a winner, I believe.

Anyway, cool project. I bet the family will be tickled!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I still really like the sound of Slingerland's shell and bearing edge combo, but I agree the hardware leaves a lot to be desired. Modern quality control + modern hardware + the Slingerland shell dimensions would be a winner, I believe.

Anyway, cool project. I bet the family will be tickled!
I’ve got them all dismantled and started polishing the parts. The lugs are in good shape, Spurs, floor tom leg mounts - all good shape. If I just don’t use the tom mount, the kit will be very playable and maintenance-free. With plated pedal technology, I think the original spurs will be fine (like how Charlie Watts still uses those old Gretsch spurs that don’t work at all). Once I get all the replacement parts we’ll see how it ends up. I can’t wait to give the family the before and after pictures!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Since Slingerland used a metal chrome wrap, I invested in some of that JB Weld welding glue to get the floor tom seam down. And I found a 6” hand buffer for $35. All the shells will get Brasso and then a nice buffing. All the replacement parts will be here Monday so I figure by mid-week this one will be up and running. If they sound and tune as easy as my DWs, I guess I can make a decision as to which one stays 😉😳

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Now that you mention it, I have seen that company mentioned here.

They look good - I'm just very reluctant to buy boutique drums, myself. (Not that I'm in the market at the moment) I wish the company luck, because it seems he's making exactly what I said. :)
Yeah - they had a nice booth at NAMM last year. With both them and Martin guitar, you felt like it was 1977.