Got a hip replacement

Zero Mercury Drummer

It's been two weeks since I got a new hip. Ironically, a good friend of mine is also a serious drummer and is getting his hip done. Mine was from motorcycles and his is from ice skating.
I know a few people on this board have had them. I was wondering what advice you might have. I plan on doing some gentle playing at around the 6 week mark if I feel good.

On my old natural hip, it was getting very difficult to spread my knees far enough to accomodate the snare. I could also forget using left leg for hi-hat pulse. Overall it was starting to limit my playing, mostly because of arthritic pain.

I am hoping that will change, and that I can also get some good double bass stuff to strengthen it.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I had both mine done. 'Bout a year ..... and a year and a half. And it's wonderful to not have the constant pain I was livin' in. Hopefully, you'll have stellar results with yours.​
My advice would be ..... listen to the Doc and take the Physical Therapy seriously. My people had no problem with me getting back behind the kit. As luck would have it, my main therapist, his son's a drummer, so he understood the mechanics. Drumming probably won't put any undue strain on you. More concern would be bending, stooping, etc. I cut my toenails with a power tool now (like pedicure shops use). Gives me a little extra reach. I use a 2' long shoehorn. I seldom wear socks. In California here, I almost live in Keen sandals now.​

Zero Mercury Drummer

Thanks Harry. Ha- I feel your pain. I have learned to put on shorts using only my feet. And even got a pair of socks on using only feet!

I am keeping up with PT and then some. Did you perhaps set your seat higher? And how much time did you take off before playing drums again?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Did you perhaps set your seat higher?
Yes, I was kinda a low rider, so I bumped it up about an inch. I'm 5'6", and my seat height is about 21". Gotta mind the 90 degree rule, at least at first.​
And how much time did you take off before playing drums again?
My "home visit" therapists scripted me to play "about 10 minutes" a day. That was just about at the 3 month mark. I remember the "you can drive a car" mark was at 6 weeks. I had a sort of family emergency, and was behind the wheel at the 5 week mark.​
Here's a link to the thread I started on the subject ....... http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83329&highlight=hip+replacement