"Gospel Chops"...I just don't get it.................

there are good drummers and bad drummers. and good "gospel chop" drummers and bad ones. its just like anything else. those that do it well are very impressive and those that don't...well don't.

I recommend checking out Isaac Teel for someone who incorporates gospel chops in a very tasteful manner, within a band setting.

Fragment of a 12-bar blues solo I recorded but which I did not finally include in the recording. What you hear is 4 bars intro and 12 of solo ending EXACTLY on the first beat of measure 1 (of the next 12), and then continuing with a little rhythm ...

Fragment of a 12-bar blues solo I recorded but which I did not finally include in the recording. What you hear is 4 bars intro and 12 of solo ending EXACTLY on the first beat of measure 1 (of the next 12), and then continuing with a little rhythm ...
That doesn't strike me as gospel-ey... A nice jazz lick for sure.

there are good drummers and bad drummers. and good "gospel chop" drummers and bad ones. its just like anything else. those that do it well are very impressive and those that don't...well don't.

I recommend checking out Isaac Teel for someone who incorporates gospel chops in a very tasteful manner, within a band setting.

Yes absolutely . Seen him play and he’s awesome ??

These are some of the most well known “Gospel Chop” drummers and this drumming meets none of the stereotypes from the initial post of many that have come on this thread since. It seems that many who have a disdain and bias against Gospel Chops haven’t really seen it in a musical setting to which it actually applies.

Last edited:
did I just get in a time machine to 2009 ?

let folks do their thing ... we love what we love and don't listen to what we don't care for ... it's really that simple

It's so funny you say this - I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'd guessed someone resurrected an OLD thread.

Personally i feel 90% of drummers who complain about it, can't do it. It's like guys saying blast beats and double kick sucks, but couldn't play it to save their life. I don't play country music, or pop, but I don't say it sucks. I guess I don't get it, but it's boring to play and not fun. The difference is I CAN play it, and have done tracks for a country singer on an album. Sure, I play death metal, but I basicly get to solo half the time while the band plays without getting in trouble. "Gospal Chops" isn't a genera, and is a name given to a style a while back to guys shedding in churches. More of a friendly drum competition. It was never "church music" So that is where the name comes from and why you haven't heard it in church.

Personaly I love shedding, trading 4's, 8's or whatever and utilizing my chops, rudiments and speed. Do I use this ALL the time? no, but it's a great outlet when I want to have fun. When I do a session or play with a band live I may get a 5 minute solo to do some of this, but it's better to have it than not need it, than to play a money beat for an hour and wish I could play some fast fills or chops.

Some guys are happy playing ACDC covers every night, and I never make posts saying "I don't get the money beat" but I have never been upset with the time I spent on rudiments, speed, ghost notes, and chops. It is pretty cool when you play a song very minimal, but you have that one fill that rips and fits the song. It's about confidence too. The more you CAN do, the more you realize what not to play. When I practice, or get a chance to use it though, i have a ton of fun.

Back