Goofy or Silly Original Songs

Title says it all, no paradys. Could be anything, as long as the idea of the song is silly or goofy.

I'll start with a short list:

Beep Beep - The Playmates
The Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
Barbie Girl - Aqua

I know almost everyone hates Barbie Girl, but it is pretty silly.

Love em or hate em, whaddya got?

"My Girl Bill" by Jim Stafford

(Because she's my girl....Bill)

"Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs

"Take a Letter Maria" by RB Greaves (Tells his secretary to write a Dear Jill letter to his wife, dumping her)

It's not supposed to be silly but it is.

These all go back to the 60's and 70's.

Last edited:
I won a Halloween talent contest wrapping a towel around my head like a turban and did Ray Stevens "Ahab the Arab" good grief it was 60s so political correctness wasn't invented yet LOL. All his songs were pretty silly.

I think this is a New Zealand group?

This is an Aussie band. It's actually a really good ska/punk song. The drumming is soooo good. It gets played on national radio from time to time.

Poison Ivy- The Coasters [According to lyricist Jerry Leiber, "Pure and simple, 'Poison Ivy' is a metaphor for a sexually transmitted disease"]

Holy crap! There are lots of silly songs I need to check out.

My wife and kid thought of:

Yellow Submarine - The Beatles

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini - Brian Hyland

Short People - Randy Newman
Take a Letter Maria (address it to my wife) - who knows...oh edit in Larry's list already.
SeaCruise - Frankie Ford

Last edited:
Sir Paul's "Let Em In" is goofy. "Silly Love Songs" is silly. "Wonderful Christmastime" is kinda dumb too. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey is whimsical.

I've got another beauty for you.

Pop Goes the World - by Men Without Hats.

I've got absolutely no spiffing idea what the hell that mob are singing about.

There's bubble popping effects, they sing about being in a band, the state of the planet, something about going to the doctor and listening to your own thoughts.

Goofy as the Disney dog........ dead-set.

The Curly Shuffle - Jump-N-the Saddle Band
Shaddap You Face - Joe Dolce
Bertha Butt Boogie - Jimmy Castor
Mighty Man - Mungo Jerry
Black Superman -"Muhammad Ali" - John Wakelin

Edit: I just noticed the letter J is quite prominent in my list.:geek:

Well, I still have the K-Tel Looney Tunes LP I got for Christmas of 1976. It’s got all kinds of weird songs on it. My fav? Hello Little Red Riding Hood.

Pete

Top of my head:

Men at work - down under (the video really emphasizes the silliness)

Genesis - Illegal Alien (video again emphasizes the ridiculousness of the song. Phil affecting a pseudo mexican/Carib accent; possibly racist?)

Foo Fighters - Big Me. Actually a pretty decent song but the fact they recorded a Muzak version of it and it is so different from what they sounded like at the time qualifies as a silly in my books

Back