Goodbye, old friend...

mattmc3287

First of all, I just want to hello and thank you to everyone on this forum. I don't know how in the hell I have been playing for 24 years and was unawre of this amazing community. I judge myself, really. But I digress, many of you have been helpful in my decision-making process in purchasing my new kit. Excuse me, my new dream kit. There are so many old threads on here with info about things you just won't find anywhere else. And, it's info and insight from the people you really want to hear it from. People that have been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.

I have been playing this Pearl Export EXR kit since 06. It's seen 11 bands, thousands of shows, and countless hours of practice and jam sessions. And, honestly, I don't NEED anything better. These drums sound amazing with good heads and tuning. And, as many of you have pointed out, you can throw them off a building, walk down and get them, set em up and play em. But, I have always wanted a higher end kit (obviosluy) and I am at a place in my life now that I can afford it (also Sweetwater's interest-free financing is friggin amazing).

Arriving tomorrow is my Pearl Session Studio Select (Ice Blue Oyster), Masters Maple snare (Cain and Able), A custom cymbals, Peearl Eliminator Redline double-kick pedal, Evans EC2 clear batters and EC reso, and all-new Pearl hardware. I am beside myself with excitement! Update with more pics of new kit to come. Thanks again, all. Peace and love.

Side Note: This kit is not for sale. It now belongs to my eldest son. He just doesn't know it yet.

1633702516608.png

1633703258389.png

Welcome! And enjoy your new instruments! You got a nice upgrade.

yep...I remember when I upgraded to my Pearl Master Custom Maples back in 1994...and now, close to 30 years later, I still have that same feeling every time I sit behind the kit. There is something to be said about that first real kit you get with your own money and when it is your own choice...

and even though I am happy with mine, hearing about other people getting their first upper end kit makes me want one too!!

pics when it is all in and together!!

pics when it is all in and together!!
Bruh, SO many pics. I may do some unboxing and review-type videos as well. Video production is one of my other hobbies. I produce technology training tutorials quite a bit doing what I do to pay for the aforementioned drum gear. Luckily for me, I thoroughly enjoy everything about that process. And, maybe I can provide someone with some helpful insights into their decision-making process.

Bruh, SO many pics. I may do some unboxing and review-type videos as well. Video production is one of my other hobbies. I produce technology training tutorials quite a bit doing what I do to pay for the aforementioned drum gear. Luckily for me, I thoroughly enjoy everything about that process. And, maybe I can provide someone with some helpful insights into their decision-making process.

nice!!! I would watch that for sure...gotta love the Pearls though. Such great sound!!!

Welcome, @mattmc3287 . You'll have no regrets about your Session Studio Select purchase. I've been an exclusive Pearl player since the '80s, and the Session Studio Select is one of my all-time favorite offerings. It has a beefy tone with incredible low-end yet all the clarity and projection one could ask for in a fine set of shells. Here's a photo of my Sessions, which many members here have already seen, though I don't display them a fraction as frequently as @Al Strange exhibits his double-bass Export rig 😄:

Session Studio Select.jpg

By the way, when your kit arrives, be certain to remove the heads, bury your face in the shells, and inhale with deep abandon. The aroma of African Mahogany is indescribably delicious. Around here, we don't just play drums; we also smell them. Somehow, we've elevated perversion to an art form.

Last edited:
Welcome ! I really like the Pearl Sessions SS you have a great taste. I guess no one told you of the hazing ritual for new members? There is the Devil to pay. I take credit cards ROFL. Just kidding!!
There can be the Devil here sadly but that's not my fault. I'm really an Angel.
75252954_986344495043395_9181162816256606208_n.jpg

Those blue exports match my eyes-which I have two-or one, or three, or many tater eyes depending on the power that be. They are all blue though so my posit still stands LOL

Hey @mattmc3287 !!! I don’t know if you’ve seen my Exports, complete with violently practical and universally adored Tom mounts? :unsure::D(y)
View attachment 109188
At some point, I intend to print this photo, frame it, and hang it in my practice space. When my son invites new friends over, I hope the dialogue goes as follows:

"Here's my kit, there's my dad's kit, and the one on the wall belongs to Al Strange."

"Who's Al Strange?"

"I don't know, some British guy. But check out those Kickports."

"Yeah, whoever he is, he's definitely a badass."

You'll be a legend from afar, Mr. strange. Who could ask for a more brilliant accolade?

Last edited:
*clears throat*

Attachments

• FDF49827-0920-4DB1-ABDE-0C84AD6D8642.jpeg
    FDF49827-0920-4DB1-ABDE-0C84AD6D8642.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 28
First of all, I just want to hello and thank you to everyone on this forum. I don't know how in the hell I have been playing for 24 years and was unawre of this amazing community. I judge myself, really. But I digress, many of you have been helpful in my decision-making process in purchasing my new kit. Excuse me, my new dream kit. There are so many old threads on here with info about things you just won't find anywhere else. And, it's info and insight from the people you really want to hear it from. People that have been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt.

I have been playing this Pearl Export EXR kit since 06. It's seen 11 bands, thousands of shows, and countless hours of practice and jam sessions. And, honestly, I don't NEED anything better. These drums sound amazing with good heads and tuning. And, as many of you have pointed out, you can throw them off a building, walk down and get them, set em up and play em. But, I have always wanted a higher end kit (obviosluy) and I am at a place in my life now that I can afford it (also Sweetwater's interest-free financing is friggin amazing).

Arriving tomorrow is my Pearl Session Studio Select (Ice Blue Oyster), Masters Maple snare (Cain and Able), A custom cymbals, Peearl Eliminator Redline double-kick pedal, Evans EC2 clear batters and EC reso, and all-new Pearl hardware. I am beside myself with excitement! Update with more pics of new kit to come. Thanks again, all. Peace and love.

Side Note: This kit is not for sale. It now belongs to my eldest son. He just doesn't know it yet.

View attachment 109165

View attachment 109166
Congrats on your purchase, my friend!

Back