Good video showing how Zigaboo plays "Cissy Strut"

BachBeat

Great find Uncle! Man I love YouTube.

One of my students has this on their 'tracks to learn' list...she'll have some required viewing now :)

Stroman

Platinum Member
Yes, I've seen that before and it really opened my eyes. i always had such a hard time getting that beat to feel right until i saw the vid. and then i went OOooooohhhhhhh.... That's how he does it!

V-Four

Interesting that his cymbals seem so tight on the stands (especially in the 1st video).

Speakin of the 1st video (which I never watched until now) it was hilarious to see the guitar guy and bass guy "bouncing/bobbing/grooving".. exactly opposite each other. Well, hilarious to me anyway.
I did find myself grooving to it as well. Then I noticed I was in the same groove as the bass player. But maybe that's just the bassist in me.

T.

danondrums

Man he's got a death grip on those sticks. LOL. I guess technique isn't always a big deal is it.
It's actually pretty relaxed (take a close look at his fingers) but he uses almost no wrist so it looks a little different than the modern day Moeller technique that everyone uses a variation of these days.

cbphoto

Gold Member
In 1969, when this tune was released, I had my head buried in Led Zeppelin II. When Cissy Strut came on the radio one night, my brain popped.

For me, the hat wasn’t the tricky part, it was the bass drum playing.

danondrums

In 1969, when this tune was released, I had my head buried in Led Zeppelin II. When Cissy Strut came on the radio one night, my brain popped.

For me, the hat wasn’t the tricky part, it was the bass drum playing.
Definitely. Getting that bass drum placed in a groovy space between the snares on the 4 and the and of 4 has proven challenging. Also the hi-hat accent with left hand leading into the three with the bass drum double leading into it were tricky at first. And then the bridges are seemingly a little random. Learning this one currently for a group I'm in and it's been a fun one to dig into. YouTube makes this stuff so easy now. :) It's nice to get songs with signature dream beats down note for note.

hawksmoor

The only way I can get that double on the bass drum, is to not swing it so much on the hi-hat, which is the whole point of that groove.