Good trade?

A guy I work with had some drums in his closet that he doesn't use, minus the floor tom which served as a bedside table. He told me I could have the drums for a table. So for a $25 table and a $15 set of unused golf clubs I had (he wanted the clubs, I don't use them), we traded sight unseen. What I ended up with is a set of black Sunlites that are actually in really good condition. Yes I am aware they are a beginner set. The bearing edges are in excellent condition, and they have G2's on everything minus the kick, which has an EMAD. It also came with a Sabian PRO 20" ride (B8, I know. Haven't played on it yet) that looks almost brand new, and some 14" Paiste 404 medium hats. There is very minor cracking around the hole of the top hat, but it does not seem to affect the sound of the cymbal. The bottom hat is flawless minus being dirty. There is a PDP straight stand for the ride, a cheap hi hat stand with a PDP clutch, and a Camco by Tama kick pedal.

I know nothing about the Paiste's or the kick pedal.

All in all, the drums actually sound pretty good with the G2's. So what do y'all think, good trade or no? And yes I still have my Pearls, this is not a replacement by any means. I just figured the unused kit could use some love too.

For a set of clubs that you didn't use? Good deal. Cheap drums are always good to have for any experimentation you want to do. It's a very freeing feeling to have a kit that you can do anything you want to.

I think the word steal is in order. Good job.

...also came with a Sabian PRO 20" ride (B8, I know. Haven't played on it yet) ...

Come on! Everyone hates B8's. Why? They are okay. There are some real POS cymbals out there but B8's are not among them. I still have a B8 14 thin crash and the ping on that cymbal is sweet. It sits right there among all my vintage Avedis Zildjian's and it makes the cut.

Somewhere on some forum a few years ago there were a lot of people ragging on this guy who had picked up some B8's for a song.... and his reply was "a set of B8's is better than no cymbals at all"... which translates to: I'm on a budget and I needed some cymbals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DyC02BM_P4

For a set of clubs that you didn't use? Good deal. Cheap drums are always good to have for any experimentation you want to do. It's a very freeing feeling to have a kit that you can do anything you want to.

Good call. I have been wanting to recover my Pearls, this kit might make a good practice tool for doing so.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I think the word steal is in order. Good job.

Thanks guys, I thought it was too. Was wondering others thoughts about it since it is basically beginner stuff.

Come on! Everyone hates B8's. Why? They are okay. There are some real POS cymbals out there but B8's are not among them. I still have a B8 14 thin crash and the ping on that cymbal is sweet. It sits right there among all my vintage Avedis Zildjian's and it makes the cut.

I have nothing against B8's, but they do seem to have a bad rap. Like I said I haven't played it yet, so I really cant form an opinion on it right now. I'm sure it will get some love regardless.

Good score.

Even if it's nothing on your pearl, it's nice to have a 2nd kit for some different sounds.

A guy I work with had some drums in his closet that he doesn't use, minus the floor tom which served as a bedside table. He told me I could have the drums for a table. So for a $25 table and a $15 set of unused golf clubs I had (he wanted the clubs, I don't use them), we traded sight unseen. What I ended up with is a set of black Sunlites that are actually in really good condition. Yes I am aware they are a beginner set. The bearing edges are in excellent condition, and they have G2's on everything minus the kick, which has an EMAD. It also came with a Sabian PRO 20" ride (B8, I know. Haven't played on it yet) that looks almost brand new, and some 14" Paiste 404 medium hats. There is very minor cracking around the hole of the top hat, but it does not seem to affect the sound of the cymbal. The bottom hat is flawless minus being dirty. There is a PDP straight stand for the ride, a cheap hi hat stand with a PDP clutch, and a Camco by Tama kick pedal.

I know nothing about the Paiste's or the kick pedal.

All in all, the drums actually sound pretty good with the G2's. So what do y'all think, good trade or no? And yes I still have my Pearls, this is not a replacement by any means. I just figured the unused kit could use some love too.

The history of the pedal.
http://www.drummagazine.com/gear/post/history-of-the-camco-chain-drive-drum-pedal/

Just had a look on ebay & the pedal you described are up for sale at about $40 - $50.

Good call. I have been wanting to recover my Pearls, this kit might make a good practice tool for doing so.

Thanks guys, I thought it was too. Was wondering others thoughts about it since it is basically beginner stuff.

I have nothing against B8's, but they do seem to have a bad rap. Like I said I haven't played it yet, so I really cant form an opinion on it right now. I'm sure it will get some love regardless.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone that likes these particular cymbals, Sabian B8 is among the worst cymbals I've ever played. Honestly, the headliner series sounds even sounds better than these.

Back