Good Trade? HELP!

justinxIP

So I recently bought a used Tama Starclassic set. The model before they started labeling which type of wood (I was told they were maple? but i'm not entirely sure). It's a 3pc 22x20 bass, 10x9 tom and 14x12 tom. This was my dream set EXCEPT for the fact that it was chipped up here and there (no affect on sound and nothing major) and it also KILLS me that the floor tom is only 14x12. it's also suspended which i don't prefer.
Some guy is considering trading me with his 1980s Tama Superstar. It's much fuller of a drum set with 10,12,13,14,16 and 22 bass. no snare. I'm actually more a 3pc guy but no one would complain about having more drums.
I'm not sure whether i should trade my starclassic for his superstar. It's slightly uglier and I don't know how older drum sets sound in comparison to newer ones. If i could trade my 14x12 tom for a 14x14, my dream set would be pretty much complete. i tried tuning it and it just can't give me the same deep sounds i want. (then again, i'm no tuning pro).

So let me know if you guys think this is a good trade.
I'm only willing to trade my great set cause of that damn floor tom and the chipping bothers me a bit too.
If you have any experience with older sets such as that one let me know please!

RSapeta92

Starclassic > superstar.

If all you need is a deeper tom, you can get that if you just save up some cash. Craigslist is full of people selling their drums off in parts. The fact that he is willing to sell that set with all those toms for a 3 piece makes me think that the 3 piece must have something special about it. I wouldn't trade this, starclassics are amazing.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd keep the Starclassic kit. Tama has used the "Superstar" name, thru the years. Some of those older drums are great, and some....not so great. Easy mark of a top-of-the-line drum, the 10 lug kick drum.​
If his Superstars has a 10 lug (per side) kick, then the shells are probably birch or mahogany, not that that's bad, but they're "less expensive" shells than the maple Starclassics.​
If his drums are "slightly ugly" .... then re-wrap/re-finish is your only option. Other than "living with ugly". I'd probably pass, right there.​
I'd save up some cash, and watch eBay. And as soon as you see a matching 14x14 show up, buy it. Might take a few months ... might take a few years. Once you score your 14x14, you're good as gold. Then sell off the 14x12.​

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Ok....Tama supetstars from the late 70's up untill they were discontinued in the mid 80's were 100% birch shells and were and Still are some of the best drums ever made,but tradeing your kit may not be the answer.You should be able to get as low a fundemental note on that 14x12 as a 14x14 with the right tuning and the right drum heads.It will also make a difference if your shells are maple or birch.Try a thicker single ply or thin double ply heads like emperors on top and ambassadors on the bottom.Seat the heads properly and tune just beyond wrinkle as long as the the drum is in tune with itself.Like I said Supetstars are great drums I own some,but they don't sound like modern drums;just as good if not better than most..but different.Don't be in such a hurry..the grass always looks greener till you have to mow the other guys lawn.

Steve B

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I agree that a 14x12 should not sound too much different than a 14x14. In fact, it should be easier to tune. You can always put legs on it if you do not care for suspending it. Your drums are better. I would not make the trade. Peace and goowill.

A-customs

Silver Member
Another vote fpr not trading.If you dont like the look of the kit,chances are real good you will regret it.Plus ,like has been said,be on the lookout for that 14,its a commen size,and the line is in abundance.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I agree that a 14x12 should not sound too much different than a 14x14. In fact, it should be easier to tune. You can always put legs on it if you do not care for suspending it. Your drums are better. I would not make the trade. Peace and goowill.
Ok..sorry to say this but newer is not always better .Play a vintage superstar set and play a starclassic kit .They will sound different but and I guess you could say better to your ear but as far as quality ..even todays custom buit hi end drums aren't better than vintage superstars..check it out ..you will see what I mean.Vintage superstars sound amazing and will stand up to anything the road has.

Steve B

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I've played quite a few Superstars. They don't sound nearly as good as Starclassics. I've tried re-tuning them and all, and they just don't compare. Keep your kit, or sell it and buy another one that you like the look of. Or, get a new kit altogether?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Again I have to disagree.When comparing high end drums;sound is subjective.Vintage drums sound different than modern drums,and different is NOT better.Better to your ears ie ..the way you want a kit to sound but not better as in comparing a Chinese luan kit to a Ludwig classic maple.Every make and model of drums out there has its own unique sound when paired with the proper tuning and head combinations.I have played VINTAGE superstars and Starclassics birch/bubinga selled drums and the both sound amazing ..but DIFFERENT.I like them both for each has strengths and weaknesses,but to say one sounds better than the other is shortsighted based on an uneducated ear.

Steve B