Good Times Bad Times Single Kick ???

Witterings

Silver Member
Led Zepp's Good Times Bad Times, is he only using a single peddle to play the part between approx 24 and 35 seconds ???
I'm not that good at hearing / translating exactly what's going on sometimes, I guess it's triplets HiHat Kick Kick ??????
I can't get a single pedal to work that fast for me, I've managed to create a similar sound crossing my hands so my left is on the floor tom so I'm playing HiHat with right hand, FT with left hand, and then kick as triplets and then moving my right off the HiHat when needs be to play the snare, probably doesn't sound as good but similar unless I can get my blessed right foot up to speed :)( ???
Any help / input, tips or decent 2nd hand right feet (that worl quicker than mine) gratefully accepted :)

.... can get my blessed right foot up to speed :)( ???
Yeah, he had a Speed King pedal, and a fast foot​
It was one of the things that make/made people say "this guy's good"....​

I used to be able to play JBs sixteenth note bass triplets back in the 1970s on a Speed King. The only way I can describe it is heel up with a certain quiver in your leg (calf muscle) and the ball of your foot on the lower 1/4 of the pedal, if any of that makes sense. It takes a lot of practice to get your timing down, but it does sound great when you master it.

One beat comes from the leg, and one from the ankle. When I do it the ankle beat is the first one. Just do it slowly for a while, and get faster as you get better at it. It's not hard really, it didn't take me very long to get it once I started really applying myself to it.

There's a multitude of techniques out there. I'd recommend the slide technique - slide the ball of the foot up the board to sound out two strokes.

Try to play a heel up, then just drop your foot, when your heel hits the back of the pedal, it makes a little hit, - not that powerful at the start. But then try to reverse it, playing with the heel first, then a normal heel up kick, a little roll will begin to come, and it makes a very fast double stroke, i believe mine really sounds like a triplestroke cause of it speed, it will cheat your ears, and you will have to listen very careful and think alot about it.
Try to place your foot at different locations also. it makes alot of difference in power, and feel. Adjust your pedal spring also, will make it ( Sometimes ) a little easier to master er certain technique. Pratice with that roll, some call it heel-toe, some call it slide. I call it "The Bertram Style of Double stroke" I think my technique is unique, but i can't tell. Whatever fits you, fits your playing. Mess arround! Have fun!

I've heard the song, and it's not that hard when u master the technique of a fast double hit. You just roll you foot in between the hits of the hi-hat and it will make a "triplet" sound-like somthing xD. Well okay.

Carmine Appice says that Bonham got that right foot triplet pattern from him. Appice says that Bonham heard him do it once. Appice says he doesn't even remember doing it.

i hate sounding like a wanker but i sincerely dont understand how that thing is hard in any sense of the word

i do agree it sounds fantastic however

i hate sounding like a wanker but i sincerely dont understand how that thing is hard in any sense of the word

i do agree it sounds fantastic however

It isn't that hard, even I can do it. But as you also said, the sound is nigh impossible to exactly recreate. Many people try to rely on double-bass too much I feel, and are surprised that you can play really fast with one foot, given the right technique and a lot of practice.

Could you play that beat perfectly the day you started playing drums? Doubtful. Did it take you a long time to muster up that speed? Probably.

While there are numerous pros here, this is also a forum for beginners, and everyone in-between.

Or maybe someone is a master of one style but not be a rock guy, and have never experienced this particular beat.

Or my case, a 300 pound box fell on my ankle some years back. While I recovered, and can still play, I have too much cartilage damage to quite reach that speed on a single kick anymore.

All of these were fairly obvious to me except the 2nd song - which one was he playing there?

That clip just had two song:

Bad Times, Good Times

and

Rock and Roll.

I think there is a longer clip somewhere on Youtube where Steve does a few additional Zep tunes as well. (?).

That clip just had two song: Bad Times, Good Times and
Rock and Roll. I think there is a longer clip somewhere on Youtube where Steve does a few additional Zep tunes as well. (?).

yeah, i linked to the actual minutes / seconds of the GTBT groove. if you rewind to the beginning you will see all the LZ grooves he covers. Steve is just sick.
+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE87tRz_lXw

Could you play that beat perfectly the day you started playing drums? Doubtful. Did it take you a long time to muster up that speed? Probably.

While there are numerous pros here, this is also a forum for beginners, and everyone in-between.

Or maybe someone is a master of one style but not be a rock guy, and have never experienced this particular beat.

Or my case, a 300 pound box fell on my ankle some years back. While I recovered, and can still play, I have too much cartilage damage to quite reach that speed on a single kick anymore.

sorry to hear that man.

however i guess you're right, it might have taken a while to master the speed, and that little tiny bit of rhythmic understanding to pull that groove, but i just generally dont like all that overpraising thing that might be going on around guys like bonzo. no doubt he was one cool drummer, but he was no technical master, obviously, and people tend to get carried away.

@thaard dude from what ive seen youre pretty damn good on the drums

sorry to hear that man.
@thaard dude from what ive seen youre pretty damn good on the drums
Thanks mate! I'm not trying to put down JB or any other greats, but the fast doubles with a single kick is attainable through practice(as everything).

Heel-toe is one of the first things I learned before I even considered myself a drummer. It's not really difficult, but like anything else it takes practice and doesn't happen right away.

I like being able to do it though. it's always something I've used against my friends that use double bass that they use it as a crutch and I can do most of the same beats without it.

Iron Maiden's drummer, Nicko McBrain I believe, is another good example of a fast foot and single kick. I love that he uses a single kick in the metal genre... You don't see that often.

Anyways, good luck!

Back