Good quality single pedal on a budget

retoxtony

I'm looking for a decent quality single pedal that's not going to break the bank. I was wondering specifically about the lower end Iron Cobras, the Ludwig Atlas standard pedal, and maybe the Mapex armoury pedal. I was also looking at a DW5000, but it's definitely more than I was planning on spending. I currently use a set of Mapex Falcon doubles that I really like and the easiest would be to find a single Falcon, but they're even more cash than the DW.

I know I should be stopping at a decent music store and trying them all out, but the closest decent store to me is a 4hr drive.

So if anyone has any experience with the listed pedals or any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

Guitar Center has the Pearl 930 for $80. I have the double pedal version and I'm very satisfied. It doesn't have all the adjustments that its big brother has, but tension and foot board angle are doing the job for me.

Guitar Center has the Pearl 930 for $80. I have the double pedal version and I'm very satisfied. It doesn't have all the adjustments that its big brother has, but tension and foot board angle are doing the job for me.
I bought the single Pearl 930. At first I liked it, but after using it a couple years, I wish I would have got something else. It's OK, but the response isn't fast enough for me & my 16ths. I much prefer my old Asba Caroline pedal.

what is your "budget" first of all?

I'd like to keep it under $200 Canadian but I can stretch it higher if I have to. I can get a DW5000 for 225, a Falcon for 280, the Armory for 170, the Ludwig for 100. I did find one of the Canadian online places has a few of the older 900 series Iron Cobras for $180 so that's somewhat tempting even though I've never really like the foot boards on those.

Really the cheaper the better. I've been piecing together a kit just for gigging and I'm trying to put something quality together for relatively cheap. Got a set of Pearl BLXs for next to nothing that I'm refinishing, a few used cymbals, some used stands, and an old acrolite snare. Last things I need are a bass drum pedal, and hihat stand. Once I sell off the parts and other extras it came with I'm hoping to have a really good kit put together for around $600 Canadian.

I don't know what you budget is but the Iron Cobra Jr., which can be bought used, is very very good for the money it costs. I'd go for it.

How about some of the lower priced DW offerings? My favorite pedal, and the one I gig with, is an OLD single chain DW5000. The current DW6000 (about $130 USD) is supposed to be the modern incarnation of the old 5000, but I have a DW2000 (about $85 USD) as a back-up which also share many of the features.

I just bought my second Gibraltar 6711DD. It's a direct drive thats silky smooth,quiet and very responsive. I used chain drives before but after a brief break in period I'm sticking with direct drive. Musician's Friend has it at $99.00 with 20% off Gibraltar stuff and free shipping. I feel like I stole it. It's a great pedal regardless of price.

It depends on what your budget is.

I just picked up my third Camco pedal (love those things) for $20. That should be within anyone's budget.

You can find used Iron Cobras or DW5000 pedals just about everywhere for under $200.

I am in Canada guys, so my around $200 budget works out to about $150 US. Actually less than that if i order from the US and have to pay shipping and duties.

So nobody has tried the Mapex Armory pedal or the Ludwig Atlas standard pedal? They look to be pretty standard, decent made pedals but without ever trying one i'm hesitant to buy one. Not sure how they'll hold up over long term use. I might just say screw it, and up my budget and buy the DW5000 or get another Falcon.

If I had to go cheap and new, I'd grab a Yamaha 7200 series. If used were an option, I would grab a DW5000.

I am in Canada guys, so my around $200 budget works out to about $150 US. Actually less than that if i order from the US and have to pay shipping and duties.

So nobody has tried the Mapex Armory pedal or the Ludwig Atlas standard pedal? They look to be pretty standard, decent made pedals but without ever trying one i'm hesitant to buy one. Not sure how they'll hold up over long term use. I might just say screw it, and up my budget and buy the DW5000 or get another Falcon.

I have a Mapex 700 series pedal (I think the model number is P700)...solid, functional, and Mapex is much more reasonably priced here. The Armory series would be the new equivalent. I've thought about upgrading but I just don't see why i'd bother.

I have the Ludwig Atlas pro and I think it's a great pedal. Played an atlas standard at a fill in and liked it quite a bit too.
Paid $180 US for the Atlas Pro.

If you think you'll like the DW 5000 pedal, check out the DW 6000 series. It's essentially a new release of the original 5000 series. Single chain and a wire base. I absolutely love mine. It's very light for traveling and performed just like its larger cousin. Think I paid around $150 for mine.

Daniel Glass uses one with Royal Crown Revue.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/dw-6000-series-turbo-single-bass-drum-pedal

The DW3000 series is also quite nice, it's essentially where the 5000 was six or seven years ago which at the time was nice enough for pro players. They run about US$130 new.

the Yamaha FP-8500B (belt / strap drive) is great at $140. the Sonor SP473 also equally great at $70.

Get whatever you want that's in your price range. Anything with a major brand name on it is going to be fine. I play the cheapest Yamaha pedal-- whatever model that is. It cost I think $40-60, I play it all the time, and I haven't the slightest desire to get anything else.

Check out the last edition of Pearl 900(series) and you might even be able to swing a deal for $50. They're good pedals.

Have you looked into buying used? I saw an Axis for $100 on Guitar Center's website (or centre as you Canooks call it.)

There are deals to be found out there.

Back