Good posture

C.M. Jones

Phil Collins is paying a dear price after decades of poor posture while drumming. His spine has assumed an unnatural curvature, placing pressure on various nerves. Playing is now painful for him, and he has mostly disengaged from drumming. It's an object lesson in maintaining a strong core so that your neck and back don't bear the bulk of the burden.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Ugh, I wish Danny hadn't switched to those frame toms instead of shell ones. I hear the difference both live and on album and I'm not a fan of the sound. Lacks something. Not that big of a deal I guess and it let's him put stuff where he likes it.

At least he's still a monster player.

Neilage

Ugh, I wish Danny hadn't switched to those frame toms instead of shell ones. I hear the difference both live and on album and I'm not a fan of the sound. Lacks something. Not that big of a deal I guess and it let's him put stuff where he likes it.

At least he's still a monster player.
Apologies for temporarily hijacking the thread...
Although Danny plays the mandalas during the song "Pneuma", he primarily plays his Sonor Bubinga kit throughout most of the show.

On his previous tour, he played this monster kit made from melted down bronze Paiste cymbals. I'd hate to be the roadie carrying that thing. It must weigh a ton.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I mean the toms without shells he mounts up front. I read that it had to do with placement particulars but clearly he doesn't hate the sound or he wouldn't do it anyway. It's just preference.

I didn't mind that melted bronze kit for sure but man that just seems like more trouble than it's worth in almost every aspect.

Anyway, on topic, sitting more correctly would be a good thing for me to do I think.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Drumming, driving, and sitting at the kitchen table, my posture is pretty good. I make sure I pay attention to it. Everywhere else, my posture sucks. I do stand up straight.

Arnoud87

Phil Collins is paying a dear price after decades of poor posture while drumming. His spine has assumed an unnatural curvature, placing pressure on various nerves. Playing is now painful for him, and he has mostly disengaged from drumming. It's an object lesson in maintaining a strong core so that your neck and back don't bear the bulk of the burden.
+1!

Have you seen Lars Ulrich's posture...? Especially on the Live Shit dvd's.
Man, it surprises me that he doesn't have any back problems.
Hurts my back even looking at it.

jimb

The only thing I suffer from regarding this topic is the howls of laughter I get when I place my small cut down and customised dining room chair behind the kit.....tho its from IKEA so its quite attractive, but yes its so comfortable, I will never go back to thrones again..it even allows me to lean back a bit, no more back pain.

Al Strange

The only thing I suffer from regarding this topic is the howls of laughter I get when I place my small cut down and customised dining room chair behind the kit.....tho its from IKEA so its quite attractive, but yes its so comfortable, I will never go back to thrones again..it even allows me to lean back a bit, no more back pain.
Do you play with cutlery and use your napkin to get rid of those nasty overtones? :unsure: Only choking your cymbals mate, if it works for you that’s great!(y):D

jimb

Do you play with cutlery and use your napkin to get rid of those nasty overtones? :unsure: Only choking your cymbals mate, if it works for you that’s great!(y):D
Hahaha....s'ok Im used to the jibes, anyway I always get a takeaway on gig nights! ha. I always look at a problem and do it my way and I've never understood thrones....all that stress on the body with nowhere to rest? and now look at poor old Phil Collins...he cant even sing standing up....no thanks, so yeah I'll lean back in between songs do my nails, pluck my eyebrows...gets a laugh.

Al Strange

Hahaha....s'ok Im used to the jibes, anyway I always get a takeaway on gig nights! ha. I always look at a problem and do it my way and I've never understood thrones....all that stress on the body with nowhere to rest? and now look at poor old Phil Collins...he cant even sing standing up....no thanks, so yeah I'll lean back in between songs do my nails, pluck my eyebrows...gets a laugh.
Good for you! (y) :cool:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Apologies for temporarily hijacking the thread...
Although Danny plays the mandalas during the song "Pneuma", he primarily plays his Sonor Bubinga kit throughout most of the show.

On his previous tour, he played this monster kit made from melted down bronze Paiste cymbals. I'd hate to be the roadie carrying that thing. It must weigh a ton.

What is a mamdala