Good on acoustic kit but sound like you suck on electric kit

harrisal21

I mainly played an acoustic kit for pretty my whole life of playing drums and got an electric kit now to practice on and it sounds like I suck playing on it. Is it just that an acoustic kit will pick up the bad habits better than an acoustic?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Ice skates and inline skates. They work the same muscles and areas of the brain, but there's enough of a difference that they require a degree of specialization and targeted practice..

Nick74

A big question is also: do the sounds suck? If you play "A-drum sounds" from a module you can be sure that you're gonna suck. Because they sound like machinegunning plastic shit. Even top drummers suck: example. Try playing good sounding external drum samplers: example + example

electrodrummer

Two different instruments.

Similar basic playing techniques and that's it.

One day all drummers will realise this - same way others in the band have with their acoustic vs electronic options.

Last edited:

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
The drum sounds may be bad, the drums may be set up bad.. you may not be used to the velocity needed to make a change. I find with my ekit it sounds better, but I REALLY need to ghost the notes and accent the notes.

It could be that it sounds so clean you are more exposed and errors will show up more too.

practice will fix it all.

Reactions: TJK

NackAttack

It could be that it sounds so clean you are more exposed and errors will show up more too.

practice will fix it all.
This^. I only played hard rock and death metal my first 10 years as a musician. One Saturday my church bought a lower tier Roland ekit and the next morning I was sitting behind them playing contemporary Christian and southern gospel songs in front of 100 or so people. It felt VERY awkward and I felt like my mistakes in timing were way more prominent. That being said, it only took a few weeks to get the feeling for it. After that I was pretty comfortable playing them, even though I still wasn’t comfortable with the genre.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
This^. I only played hard rock and death metal my first 10 years as a musician. One Saturday my church bought a lower tier Roland ekit and the next morning I was sitting behind them playing contemporary Christian and southern gospel songs in front of 100 or so people. It felt VERY awkward and I felt like my mistakes in timing were way more prominent. That being said, it only took a few weeks to get the feeling for it. After that I was pretty comfortable playing them, even though I still wasn’t comfortable with the genre.
I used to feel this way. Partially because on an ekit the sound is so tight it pops... and even an inaudible thing on an A kit can show if it is set on the sensitive size.

I do find NOW though my timing has improved much with the ekit, but your dynamics suffer if you don't switch back often. Accoustic feels SO loud after, and that forgiving rebound is always missed when I want to blaze chops. I am SOOOO much faster on E drums. haha.

I split my time up now and it seems to be perfect.

amyhimesamaa123

I mainly played an acoustic kit for pretty my whole life of playing drums and got an electric kit now to practice on and it sounds like I suck playing on it. Is it just that an acoustic kit will pick up the bad habits better than an acoustic?
The drum sounds may be bad, the drums may be set up bad.. you may not be used to the velocity needed to make a change. I find with my ekit it sounds better