Good metronome software

B

Big_Philly

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a metronome program, preferably freeware of course. There's plenty of options for regular metronomes out there, but I am looking for something specific: the ability to have the metronome play clicks for one bar, then go mute for one bar, then continue to click for another bar etc. as a timing exercise.

Does anyone know of a simple, elegant metronome program that has this capability?

C

Crazy8s

There are a bazillion drum machine programs and I am sure that if you used google you could find a free one that would work for you. You might have to learn how to use it.

B

Big_Philly

There are a bazillion drum machine programs and I am sure that if you used google you could find a free one that would work for you. You might have to learn how to use it.
I know, but because there's a million of them it's hard to choose one so I thought I'd ask for tips and people's experiences.

I use Weird Metronome. It's a very easy program to use with a couple dozen voices that you can program into whatever subdivisions you wish, and save as many presets as you like. I use it live.
Thanks! This one works great for me! Very intuitive and flexible.

LogicaLinsanity

rebonn

THIS ONE
It's worth paying the $1.99 for added features

mrthirsty

TimeGuru is the one to get if you want click for a bar then mute for a bar. It also has a random mute feature that will slowly mute clicks depending on what percentage you set it at.

Last edited:

crash

I use an app called Tempo. I believe it will run on Android and iPad. It has a mute feature that will mute the click for a set number of bars. I use it to practice playing grooves. It's fairly cheap. I think it;s better to use the paid version as it's ad free. You can also use liveBPM to track your groove time. Although I think it will max out at 200bpm, which kills it for jazz players. I practice keeping a beat at 40bpm, it's a challenge and will improve your time keeping overall. Sometimes I set the metronome to half notes, it can be a bit of a challenge and give your timekeeping a workout.

grparty

I also highly recommend the Time Guru app. It has a unique and simple interface that is intuitive to use - you can set up all kinds of click patterns (like 4 beats w/click followed by 4 beats rest) in a few seconds.

iCe

Cakewalk is a great program for that! It's also a recording program and can't believe it's free.
It's great to make click-tracks for songs as well. It's a bit daunting and overwhelming at first, but you can create a great tracks if you have 2 or more time signatures or changes in tempos for certain songs.

I use "Tempo". It has a ton of useful features for practice, and for playing live, like setlists, count-down, progressive tempo etc. I have an android phone, but it's available for iOS too

felonious69

For using a metronome, say on a ten inch tablet or on a phone, what is a good way to mount it to maybe a cymbal or rototom stand? (assuming it's visible also, not just clicks)

iCe

Thank you! Freaked me out at first because I don't speak German, but there was a little translator window. Just curious, how much is 39 Euros (USD)?

With the current exhange rate is €39,- around $46,2502. Note, we use a comma like US uses a . in currencies, so not that 39 euros is 462502 dollars xD)
Hell i would be rich man otherwise...

felonious69

With the current exhange rate is €39,- around $46,2502. Note, we use a comma like US uses a . in currencies, so not that 39 euros is 462502 dollars xD)
Hell i would be rich man otherwise...
WOW! Almost half a million dollars! With that kind of cash I could afford a member of congress...but they're all already sold.