Good metronome software

B

Big_Philly

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a metronome program, preferably freeware of course. There's plenty of options for regular metronomes out there, but I am looking for something specific: the ability to have the metronome play clicks for one bar, then go mute for one bar, then continue to click for another bar etc. as a timing exercise.

Does anyone know of a simple, elegant metronome program that has this capability?

C

Crazy8s

There are a bazillion drum machine programs and I am sure that if you used google you could find a free one that would work for you. You might have to learn how to use it.

B

Big_Philly

There are a bazillion drum machine programs and I am sure that if you used google you could find a free one that would work for you. You might have to learn how to use it.
I know, but because there's a million of them it's hard to choose one so I thought I'd ask for tips and people's experiences.

I use Weird Metronome. It's a very easy program to use with a couple dozen voices that you can program into whatever subdivisions you wish, and save as many presets as you like. I use it live.
Thanks! This one works great for me! Very intuitive and flexible.

LogicaLinsanity

rebonn

THIS ONE
It's worth paying the $1.99 for added features

mrthirsty

TimeGuru is the one to get if you want click for a bar then mute for a bar. It also has a random mute feature that will slowly mute clicks depending on what percentage you set it at.

Last edited:

crash

I use an app called Tempo. I believe it will run on Android and iPad. It has a mute feature that will mute the click for a set number of bars. I use it to practice playing grooves. It's fairly cheap. I think it;s better to use the paid version as it's ad free. You can also use liveBPM to track your groove time. Although I think it will max out at 200bpm, which kills it for jazz players. I practice keeping a beat at 40bpm, it's a challenge and will improve your time keeping overall. Sometimes I set the metronome to half notes, it can be a bit of a challenge and give your timekeeping a workout.

grparty

I also highly recommend the Time Guru app. It has a unique and simple interface that is intuitive to use - you can set up all kinds of click patterns (like 4 beats w/click followed by 4 beats rest) in a few seconds.

iCe

Cakewalk is a great program for that! It's also a recording program and can't believe it's free.
It's great to make click-tracks for songs as well. It's a bit daunting and overwhelming at first, but you can create a great tracks if you have 2 or more time signatures or changes in tempos for certain songs.

I use "Tempo". It has a ton of useful features for practice, and for playing live, like setlists, count-down, progressive tempo etc. I have an android phone, but it's available for iOS too

iCe

Thank you! Freaked me out at first because I don't speak German, but there was a little translator window. Just curious, how much is 39 Euros (USD)?

With the current exhange rate is €39,- around $46,2502. Note, we use a comma like US uses a . in currencies, so not that 39 euros is 462502 dollars xD)
Hell i would be rich man otherwise...

WOW! Almost half a million dollars! With that kind of cash I could afford a member of congress...but they're all already sold.
Yeah, there was a limited edition with a member of congress included, but I decided against it. I have already five of those buggers in my closet, and all they do is whine, break vocal winds and burn my tax money

bonerpizza

Silver Member
ProMetronome has that option it's called Rhythm Trainer, you can set it to play a set number of bars then mute for a set number of bars or randomly choose the number of bars to play/mute. Another feature it's got that I personally like is that I can change it to say 1, 2, 3, 4 vs the standard clicking/woodblock sound, it comes in handy with teaching lessons when I say the & of 3 my students know exactly what I'm talking about. I paid for the pro version I think it was $4.99, it's definitely worth it.

Mastiff

The soundbrenner app for Android is pretty good. But I'm glad I found this thread because I still don't like what I've found for PC. The browser ones are mostly bad.