Good head for 18 inch kick

pocketaces2012

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good head for an 18 inch bass drum. It's a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute, 14 inches deep, and as far as styles go I mostly play jazz, R&B, some rock, fusion. I also use a 20 inch kick for heavier stuff, so this 18 inch is for the lighter stuff. I currently rock an Aquarian SK 1 on the 20 inch which I totally dig, and I was looking at getting the Aquarian Modern Vintage for the 18. I use those heads on my toms and they sound great, but I wondered how the MV would sound on a bass drum.

Any other suggestions are welcome. THANKS!

T

TheArchitect

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good head for an 18 inch bass drum. It's a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute, 14 inches deep, and as far as styles go I mostly play jazz, R&B, some rock, fusion. I also use a 20 inch kick for heavier stuff, so this 18 inch is for the lighter stuff. I currently rock an Aquarian SK 1 on the 20 inch which I totally dig, and I was looking at getting the Aquarian Modern Vintage for the 18. I use those heads on my toms and they sound great, but I wondered how the MV would sound on a bass drum.

I use a coated Emperor on my 18" with a felt strip. I have mine tuned more like a 3rd tom though. For this kit I am not looking for "thump", I want to hear a nice sustained tone.

When I was experimenting I picked up an emad that could do that though. It didn't do it as well as my bigger drums though so I went another direction on the 18" kick

TTNW

Pioneer Member

I use an Emad on my 18" BD. The single clear ply with no muffle rings is a little boomy which is cool if you want less thump. I use the smaller muffle ring to get a nice round thump since I don't play much jazz.

A Fiberskyn Ambassador is a good jazzy BD head and a Smooth Emperor or Coated Emperor are also good choices.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Dual coated ambassadors sound great for a warm and open sound, coated emperor if you want a deeper tone. Emad sounds good for a focused punch. That's all I ever use.

jimrod

i want to go from 20" to 18" bass, how do i center the pedal/ batter to strike the center of the 18 " bass? thanks
I'm new here.

jer

Silver Member
I've been using a PS3 on my 18", play similar stuff you do, but maybe not the best for a jazz application, attack is quite present, but I guess it depends what kind of beater you are using, if you use the Flam Slam with it or generally have a heavy foot :)

I do prefer it over the SK1

i want to go from 20" to 18" bass, how do i center the pedal/ batter to strike the center of the 18 " bass? thanks
I'm new here.
Welcome, new here!

http://www.andertons.co.uk/pid16096/cid580/MapexBassDrumRiser.asp

I use one of the above, there are a few models out there, I found this one doesn't interfere with the pedal movement at all (had a Gibraltar one that the beater arm would hit).