Good free software based metronome?

Duracell

I've been looking for a good (preferably free) software based metronome. Is there such a thing? I'm currently using the following website http://www.webmetronome.com/. It doesn't have some of the options I would like to have like the abillity to silence it for one measure or more.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Not sure how helpful this is, but I've attached an MP3 of a 4/4 click at 120bpm that goes for almost 6 minutes. It plays 4 bars on and 4 bars off.

If you get the free program, Audacity, you can use it to change the tempo using Effect-->Change Tempo to whatever you like.

A bit more fiddly than a full product but it's cheap and easy.

Attachments

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Looks like you have to compile it yourself.

I do have a Linux fileserver kicking around. I could probably get Hydrogen to work over VNC.

poodlesdrum

Looks like you have to compile it yourself.

I do have a Linux fileserver kicking around. I could probably get Hydrogen to work over VNC.

Related: Folks, don't throw away your old clunker, throw some Linux version on it. Modern, fast software on what was near-obsolete hardware!

Everybody should have one..!

Duracell

Good show people! That is some seriously handy stuff.

And I really needed it too. Apparently I can't hold time worth a hoot without that comforting beep on every quarter note. Another element added to my practice routine...

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Related: Folks, don't throw away your old clunker, throw some Linux version on it. Modern, fast software on what was near-obsolete hardware!

Everybody should have one..!
Agreed! I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (a year old) on a computer that was built in 2002. Pentium 4 2.8GhZ (yeah, that was a surprise) with 512Mb of RAM and it runs like an absolute dream. If I didn't have my other computers, I could get by quite happily with the Linux one!

Just to add some controversy into the mix, I'm posting this on my Macbook Pro...

skreg

Hydrogen is fantastic. I also run Ubuntu, so I use GTick. But, it doesn't allow me to hear subdivisions. I've been thinking about creating a better one myself. I'll definitely be posting it here if I decide to take the project on.

-sheldon

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
http://metronomeapp.com/

I use this one. I went ahead and paid the $1.99 or whatever because I use it all the time and it has lots of cool features. I can do almost any time sig and there's a bunch of voice/sound options, including a snare/bass sound.