Good cymbals for metal(Preferably Zildjian)

Nilsdrums

Hi!

I usually use A custom Hats, ride and a 16" K Dark thin crash together with an A custom 18" Crash. I absolutely love my K but it's too weak with the A custom when playing heavier music live. I'm thinking to maybe use the 18" A custom as main crash instead and pair it with a 19" A custom (Regular, not projection), does that sound like a good metal set-up? Also really interested in buying a K Custom Hybrid 18", would that fit good in metal together with my A customs? Would also appreciate tips of good metal rides with a good projecting bell, just not too thick, like the A Custom projection ride. Can't stand that one...

I play A custom crashes and K Custom Dark crashes. Your K Dark Thin crash is a bit mellower than the K Custom Darks.
I think the K Custom Dark series also has a bit more explosive crash too. They sound to me like the same volume as the A Custom.

Assuming it’s straight metal the original Z series would fit in better with your A Customs than Ks would. Plus the Z series was and remains popular in the genre.

Pete

Don't discount the Zildjian S line. I honestly feel it would be ideal for hard rock and metal plus it's considered an intermediate line so it doesn't break the bank.

I've used this example many times before, Jay's use of the S series in this promo:

I would think if you’re mic’d up most of the time, you should be able to use whatever you want. I’m all for hearing a guy really smash if he’s playing heavy music, but at the same time, it’s physics: drums and cymbals can only get so loud before you start breaking things, and they don’t sound good if you’re hitting them as hard as you can anyway. Better to back down and let the instrument do its thing, and deal with your volume needs another way, like miking up and running through a PA. Is that your situation? Or are you un-mic’d most of the time? In that case, regular old A Zildjians work great, or Paiste 2002.

For Punk & Metal I have always used Zildjian A Custom Projectors. I also use 2002's for other bands. Both would suit Metal perfectly.

16" is a bit too small for a crash. A 19 or 20 A Custom would work well with your 18.

Have a look at the K Custom Ride, that's kinda what you're describing.

I used Paiste Signature cymbals back when I was playing drunk monkey metal but switched to Zildjian As after the band changed genre to the less chaotic butterfly metal. I have a friend down the hall from my studio that plays natural disaster metal with 7 different Paiste Rude cymbals. Drummer in my sons band Pelvic Meatloaf which specializes in anatomical metal plays different brands. One of their vids below.

I used Paiste Signature cymbals back when I was playing drunk monkey metal but switched to Zildjian As after the band changed genre to the less chaotic butterfly metal. I have a friend down the hall from my studio that plays natural disaster metal with 7 different Paiste Rude cymbals. Drummer in my sons band Pelvic Meatloaf which specializes in anatomical metal plays different brands. One of their vids below.

Awesome drumming and great sounding cymbals! (y) ?

I'll pass that praise on. Son Richard is the guy growling the "in your face" lyrics. His band's been together 25 years, and although I'm not a metal fan I admit they're pretty good at what they do.
Awesomeness @johnwesley! Please do pass on my feedback to your lad...they’re great at that style of metal, top video too, really enjoyed it! (y) :D

The mid sized A custom projection crashes (17, 18) are great for any loud, sonically dense music, strangely I don’t really like the projection rides or hats. But the A custom Projection crashes are a good buy.

I have seen too many broken regular A Custom crashes to recommend them for metal, allthough they do sound good. I have a 19" A Custom Medium Crash myself, sounds awesome for heavier styles, so I would stick with Mediums or Projections, as far as crashes go.

The Zyldjian A Custom line is great for metal. Assuming you are using mic in a live setting? The standard A Custom Crash though is a thin weight, and loses the attack and punch heavier crashes provide, thus will get lost in the mix. The Projection Crash is medium thin, and does OK, although the 19" loses some attack, but the 18" is good). You'd probably want to look at the medium crash though, those do fantastic in any size, and will give you a great attach, and bright penetrating sound that cuts. Also the standard A line Heavy Crash is something you would like. Really punches through a mix, and blends very well with the A Custom line. The Heavy Crash is a brilliant finish like the A Custom and is actually a rebranded Z3 line cymbal. The problem with mixing dark with bright cymbals in a louder, amplified environment is that the sound guy will have to set the overhead mics for the volume and brightness of the heavier crashes, so the dark cymbals will just not have enough brightness and attack to compete, thus get lost in the mix. Short of micing every cymbal individually, you don't want to get too much variation between the brightest and darkest cymbals. You really want to keep similar tonal qualities with some variation in sizes and weights.

Huh. Played that at church just last week. Darker arrangement though. Yeah, our older members are real headbangers. Old Ms. Johnson is off the hook, yo.

Pete

Back