Good alternatives to a 18" A-Custom Crash?

Stitch Kaboodle

Hi I'm wondering if any of you have opinions on what would be a good replacement for a standard 18" A-Custom crash. I like the general sound and weight of the A-Custom but fancy a change, maybe of brand. What would the equivalent sounding crash in Paiste be (or as close to sounding anyway)? Or any other brand.

Thanks

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Why buy another cymbal that sounds just the one you have if you like the sound? I could see another sound but another brand with the same sound just seems wasted energy

Stitch Kaboodle

I'm not looking for the same sound. Just a similar pitch range, as it will be performing the same function. Crash, some crash-riding.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Answer: Zildjian A 18" thin or med-thin crash (not a custom)

OR

Zildjian K Dark 18" Crash (not custom)

Logic: Both of these sound distinctly different from the A-Custom, but retain similar overall sound characteristics

GeeDeeEmm

sage32

Although I haven't personally played them, I think you should look into the Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials. These cymbals were designed by Vinnie Colaiuta, the same guy who designed the A Custom line with Zildjian.

But from my personal experience, A Customs have a very bright, silvery shimmery quality that I really like. I currently own a Sabian Vault crash that sounds VERY similar to the A Custom crashes. But I bought that cymbal years ago, and I believe that it is now currently under the AAX lineup as the AAX V-Crash. The AAX Studio Crash is another cymbal I've personally played that is remarkably similar to the A Custom. So that would be a good place to start- Sabian AAX V-Crash and AAX Studio Crash.

I haven't played too many Paiste cymbals, but the 2002s are very bright and cutting like the A-Customs. You should try those out too.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I've always liked the standard A Zildjian 18" medium thin crash. I'd select one on the lighter side of the weight range.

Salt7900

While I agree that something from the same family will sound pretty similar (A Customs..), I've also personally found nothing crash-rides better then a good Paiste due to the shimmery nature of them. All up for personal debate, though.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Hi I'm wondering if any of you have opinions on what would be a good replacement for a standard 18" A-Custom crash. I like the general sound and weight of the A-Custom but fancy a change, maybe of brand. What would the equivalent sounding crash in Paiste be (or as close to sounding anyway)? Or any other brand.

Thanks
Paiste Signature Full Crash is what I'd put my money on.

porter

Platinum Member
A lot of suggestions being thrown out. I'll try to offer some more insight.

Although I haven't personally played them, I think you should look into the Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials. These cymbals were designed by Vinnie Colaiuta, the same guy who designed the A Custom line with Zildjian.

But from my personal experience, A Customs have a very bright, silvery shimmery quality that I really like. I currently own a Sabian Vault crash that sounds VERY similar to the A Custom crashes. But I bought that cymbal years ago, and I believe that it is now currently under the AAX lineup as the AAX V-Crash. The AAX Studio Crash is another cymbal I've personally played that is remarkably similar to the A Custom. So that would be a good place to start- Sabian AAX V-Crash and AAX Studio Crash.
Absolutely agreed, yes. Modern Essentials, V-Crashes, and Studio crashes are all quite similar to the A Custom (I've owned both a 16" A Custom and a 16" AAX Studio and they were very, very similar).

A Custom regular crashes actually aren't that thick or cutting to my ear. They're relatively thin with a slightly thicker center that gives them their brightness. With that in mind, any of the Sabians sage32 mentioned would be a good adjacent option, as well as the Meinl Soundcaster Custom Thin crash, Meinl Byzance Brilliant Medium Thin crash, Paiste Modern Essentials crash, or Paiste Signature Full, Mellow, or Fast crash.

Stitch Kaboodle

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some great ones there, will really hep me narrow down the options.

I have a Paiste china and it seems to be bulletproof, so I might give one of theirs a go first.

Answer: Zildjian A 18" thin or med-thin crash (not a custom)

GeeDeeEmm
I had a Zildjian A 18" thin a few years ago. Lovely cymbal but probably a tad light for what I'm after.