Going under the knife

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I am going into surgery in a few hours to address an issue in my forearm called compartment syndrome. Essentially, the fascia surrounding my forearm flexors is so tight that the muscle and ulnar nerve are severely constricted.

No, it did not come from drumming. (I would ask that too) but rather it is a genetic pre-disposition coupled with a weightlifting injury I suffered a few years ago that also erniated two discs in my cervical spine.

They tell me my recovery will be quick and I will be good as new. I sure hope so.

I will have eight weeks to work on everything but my left hand. Any ideas on stuff to work on besides double bass?

No playing advise Jeff, only my best wishes for your quick recovery. I had an operation to relieve compartment syndrome many years ago following excessive swelling from a broken arm. It's pretty straight forward chop & cut stuff, so aside from localised trauma, you'll be good to go. My only general advise is to move as much as possible as soon as possible, but I'm sure your physio will give you more Jeff specific advise.

Good luck my friend, & "see" you on the other side :)

No playing advise Jeff, only my best wishes for your quick recovery. I had an operation to relieve compartment syndrome many years ago following excessive swelling from a broken arm. It's pretty straight forward chop & cut stuff, so aside from localised trauma, you'll be good to go. My only general advise is to move as much as possible as soon as possible, but I'm sure your physio will give you more Jeff specific advise.

Good luck my friend, & "see" you on the other side :)

Thanks Andy. Appreciate the well wishes. It's good to hear that someone around here went through it and it was pretty straightforward.

Thanks Andy. Appreciate the well wishes. It's good to hear that someone around here went through it and it was pretty straightforward.
No problem Jeff. Compared to some of the stuff they've done to me, it's pretty low key :) This was 30 years ago though, so I'm sure things are much more slick now. Of course, each case is different, & everyone feels some apprehension before a procedure. I have all my stuff done under local anaesthetic, and that's always a bit challenging :(

You'll be just fine mate :) Chin up!

Best of luck Jeff, I'm sure you will be drumming in no time.

Like Andy said, just focus on the post op therapy and physio. Some time away from the kit can help too.

good luck.

///

Best wishes for a successful procedure Jeff. Instead of practicing your hands right away, perhaps this would be a good time to listen to music that you've been putting off. Listening to good drumming and mentally dissecting it is as good as practicing in a lot of ways.

best of luck my brother

I have been working on this lately with my left hand

thought maybe you may enjoy putting some work in on it as well

I still find it difficult to keep steady for long periods of time.....but I'll get there

the trill of the chase....ya know ?

speedy recovery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofv3Fh2MWcc

If you can hold off on the surgery do it. Trigger point muscle therapy is usually successful for this kind of ailment. Anyway, whatever happens good luck.

Jeff,

I am currently recovering from back surgery and i have been focusing on what i'm able to handle. For instance, legs are not able to play at the moment so i have been working on my fast ride tempo with my right hand and rudiments.

I also have been concentrating on reading as well.

Best of luck to you...get well soon!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Jeff.

I've had to take significant time off to deal with a shoulder injury, so I can sympathize.

Good luck Jeff.................hope it doesn't put you out too long............working on the feet would be my recommendation also.

Wishing you a quick recovery from Arizona..... Terry

Listening is a great post-op recovery practice subject.

...develop perfect pitch/perfect timing recog/setting.

Hope you have a clear recovery Jeff!

Back