Going Gretsch. Will I be happy with a set of Renowns?

yammyfan

Like the title says, I'd like to give Gretsch a try, having owned Pearl, Tama and Yamaha kits.

I'm after that nice big, warm maple sound and I think the current Renowns will give me that. I'm looking at the RN2-R644 (24 inch kick, 13 and 16 inch toms plus snare) in Satin Antique Blue.

Will I get that "great Gretsch sound" from the Renowns? Interested in any and all opinions.

Thanks for weighing in!

tfgretsch

They sound awesome on line. you may want to up grade to a better gretsch snare. i have a new rn2 maple snare 14x6.5 flanged hoops and it had alot of ringy overtones. to my ears i had to add new heads,puresound snare wires & a die cast batter hoop to control the ringing . good luck !! I have a twenty year old maple USA gretsch kit and a catalina club kit and they both sound awesome

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I don’t know if I’d call the Renown sound “warm”. They tend to be more focused given their bearing edges, compared to say, the Broadkaster. Having said this, and I may be a bit biased, but the tone has a perfect blend and balance. They also have an incredible tuning range. The smaller toms with 5 lugs tend to choke less tuned high and have better sustain than I’ve had with my previous sets.

I think for their price point, it’s tough to go wrong with them. The RN2 are a bit more open with the 302 hoops, than the previous RN1, but I’d take either to be honest. I liked the old stop sign badge Renowns too. They were the closest to the USA Customs, but Gretsch did a great job of incrementing the line forward without loosing anything.

I say go for it. I actually had never given Gretsch a second look. They seemed stuck in time to me, but then I finally saw them up close and heard them snd realized why.

I know, I’m like the caveman in the Geico commercials who finally slid back his rock and read the sign!!! Not like we have a ton of killer gear for sale around here!

yammyfan

They sound awesome on line. you may want to up grade to a better gretsch snare. i have a new rn2 maple snare 14x6.5 flanged hoops and it had alot of ringy overtones. to my ears i had to add new heads,puresound snare wires & a die cast batter hoop to control the ringing . good luck !! I have a twenty year old maple USA gretsch kit and a catalina club kit and they both sound awesome
Agreed - I listed to the DCP head-to-head comparison of the Brooklyn, USA Custom and Broadkaster last night and they all sounded fantastic. I watched Nick D's Sweetwater review of the Renowns this afternoon and I loved them too. They seem reasonably priced in Canada though the exchange rate kills us. A four piece kit costs $2500 here.

I didn't mind the snare either. I've come to embrace a bit of ringing as it helps the snare to be heard in clubs. I don't hit hard enough though I'm getting better about it. 😄

I don’t know if I’d call the Renown sound “warm”. They tend to be more focused given their bearing edges, compared to say, the Broadkaster. Having said this, and I may be a bit biased, but the tone has a perfect blend and balance. They also have an incredible tuning range. The smaller toms with 5 lugs tend to choke less tuned high and have better sustain than I’ve had with my previous sets.

I think for their price point, it’s tough to go wrong with them. The RN2 are a bit more open with the 302 hoops, than the previous RN1, but I’d take either to be honest. I liked the old stop sign badge Renowns too. They were the closest to the USA Customs, but Gretsch did a great job of incrementing the line forward without loosing anything.

I say go for it. I actually had never given Gretsch a second look. They seemed stuck in time to me, but then I finally saw them up close and heard them snd realized why.

I know, I’m like the caveman in the Geico commercials who finally slid back his rock and read the sign!!! Not like we have a ton of killer gear for sale around here!
I'm used to birch drums so maybe that's why the Renowns sound warm to me. These will be my first maple drums. Guess it wouldn't hurt to look for a used kit though I haven't come across anything local other than a few Catalina kits.

Yamaha Rider

Agreed - I listed to the DCP head-to-head comparison of the Brooklyn, USA Custom and Broadkaster last night and they all sounded fantastic. I watched Nick D's Sweetwater review of the Renowns this afternoon and I loved them too. They seem reasonably priced in Canada though the exchange rate kills us. A four piece kit costs $2500 here.

I didn't mind the snare either. I've come to embrace a bit of ringing as it helps the snare to be heard in clubs. I don't hit hard enough though I'm getting better about it. 😄

I'm used to birch drums so maybe that's why the Renowns sound warm to me. These will be my first maple drums. Guess it wouldn't hurt to look for a used kit though I haven't come across anything local other than a few Catalina

I'm used to birch drums so maybe that's why the Renowns sound warm to me. These will be my first maple drums. Guess it wouldn't hurt to look for a used kit though I haven't come across anything local other than a few Catalina kits.
Don't all snares ring when tuned tight? That's what dampers are for, surely?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Well, don't think you can get much more focused than birch, so definitely warmer. :)

NouveauCliche

Like the title says, I'd like to give Gretsch a try, having owned Pearl, Tama and Yamaha kits.

I'm after that nice big, warm maple sound and I think the current Renowns will give me that. I'm looking at the RN2-R644 (24 inch kick, 13 and 16 inch toms plus snare) in Satin Antique Blue.

Will I get that "great Gretsch sound" from the Renowns? Interested in any and all opinions.

Thanks for weighing in!
Absolutely- the Renowns are some of the best drums at any price frankly....they tune great - sound great - look great...awesome drums.

I was an inch away from getting a set of Renowns before I pulled the trigger on Brooklyns and that was only because I COULD right now.

The Renowns are a classic drum sound - warm enough - nice attack - great sustain - great quality control on those drums...but well and consistently - good hardware...awesome new finishes (The Vintage Pearl is sick - I miss the turquoise glass sparkle though haha) - they record well...road worthy but not so expensive that you have to constantly worry about.

Great stuff.

(I would also opt for a new snare but that's primarily because I'm not super into wood snares)

I had a Renown 57 that I've missed dearly since I sold it - enough to pull the trigger on a new set of Brooklyns. Mine were RN1s though - with the die cast hoops, etc.

but - great set.

Attachments

Pootle

Very happy owner of an RN2 here; fantastic sounding drums, warm and very easy to tune. Solid hardware too. I bought a 5.5 snare separately and I’m very happy with it, slapped an Ambassador on, very sensitive and gives out a fantastic crack.

I think the shells are relatively heavy (maybe just me) so lugging a 24” around might be a bit of a drag but presumably you're used to that already.

Proud RN1 owner over here, not had it long and it was bought as my gigging set. Its the 10/12/16/22 in Silver Oyster Pearl and it absolutely slams.

tfgretsch

Very happy owner of an RN2 here; fantastic sounding drums, warm and very easy to tune. Solid hardware too. I bought a 5.5 snare separately and I’m very happy with it, slapped an Ambassador on, very sensitive and gives out a fantastic crack.

I think the shells are relatively heavy (maybe just me) so lugging a 24” around might be a bit of a drag but presumably you're used to that already.
What type snare did you purchase for your renown kit ? Thks

Pootle

What type snare did you purchase for your renown kit ? Thks
Originally a 13” Brooklyn CoS (which I love) but I also wanted something warmer so bought the maple Renown snare. It easily matches a similar sound to this demo which for me is bang on the money

yammyfan

A silly question maybe but do you have to take the toms off the mount to tune them and if so, is it easy to do? I'm a bit spoiled by Yamaha's ball mounts so I can flip the toms upside down and tune them without having to take them off the mount.

Good point about the 24" kick drum - maybe 22" would be easier to move. I don't want anything deeper than 16" however.

Lennytoons

I've got the RN1's. They are the only kit I have that NEVER detunes. Rock-solid. They do prefer medium to high tuning but with a little patience and tweaking, you can get a low, fat sound out of them. They are very heavy so not a lot of fun to move around. Overall a great drum kit.

Darth Vater

I'd go with the 22" bass. One of the best kicks out there. RN-2's are really nice kits. Only thing I wasn't crazy about with the one I had was the 5-lug rack toms. Not a big deal but it seemed I had to keep an ear to them to make sure they were in tune more than I do with a 6-lug drum. Still, buy'em, play'em, you'll like 'em. ;)

yammyfan

I've got the RN1's. They are the only kit I have that NEVER detunes. Rock-solid. They do prefer medium to high tuning but with a little patience and tweaking, you can get a low, fat sound out of them. They are very heavy so not a lot of fun to move around. Overall a great drum kit.
I just bought a brand new Stage Custom Birch kit for gigs (8-10-12-13-14-16 with 22" kick) so I may stick with them for that purpose though I can see myself loving the Renowns so much that I'll want to take them out often. Great to know about the tuning thing as I am a bit fanatical about that. 😄

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I wouldn't let the weight put you off of considering a 24" bass drum. A 24" has a great sound and it would give you something different from your other 22". One of my 24" bass drums is a Pearl MMX with a 7.5mm shell and it's a tank but it sounds great.

Also, I don't mean to throw a wrench into your plans, but I'm wondering if you'd also considered the Tour Custom, considering your username and all...

Dirtysticks

Great sounding pro level kit. Renown kits can handle anything a drummer would need. I played a set in my church for years, had them tuned from high and bright to low and thuddy, and they were great all the way through. We switched to a DW Design kit when we remodeled and wanted a black kit and those are great too, but sound noticeably different even though the shell makeup was 100% North American maple on both kits. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Renown drums to anyone looking for a great kit.

yammyfan

I wouldn't let the weight put you off of considering a 24" bass drum. A 24" has a great sound and it would give you something different from your other 22". One of my 24" bass drums is a Pearl MMX with a 7.5mm shell and it's a tank but it sounds great.

Also, I don't mean to throw a wrench into your plans, but I'm wondering if you'd also considered the Tour Custom, considering your username and all...
I'm not so worried about weight as I am about being able to fit the drums in my car. I should probably test a 24" kick to see if it will fit before I make that commitment. I'm also thinking about the shell pack with the 20" kick. Apparently it's nice too.

I like the Tour Custom but the finishes are limited and I already have four Yamaha kits. I can't seem to get Gretsch drums out of my head so I think I'll give in to the urge and just go for it. :)

Funny story but my username is a nod to my love of Yamaha audio equipment. The drum thing came later!

Last edited: