Going from Hydraulics to Pinstripes

fixxxer

I've been using Evans Hydraulics on my toms for over a year now. Overall, I've been happy with them as they give me that fat sound that I like. However, I am considering changing to Remo Pinstipes. The reason for the change is that I have heard people say that the Hydraulics are a bit more difficult to play due to the fact that they don't give much rebound. Is there any truth to this?
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what would be the difference I could expect with this change as far as sound and feel. BTW- I have a birch kit (in case that makes any difference).
Thanks in advance!

I've currently got g1, ec2 and hydaulics on my different kits toms. I don't notice a difference in playing them. Perhaps there is a slight difference due to the fact they have oil in them? but If there is I can't tell. I really like hydraulics on my acrylic kits (mmm! sounds like the 70's!) but I don't use them on any wood kits I own.

Rebound? I would think it has alot to do with how you have them tuned. The Pinstripes will be a little more lively and not as dead as the hydros. I'm a Remo guy and prefer Clear Emperors on the toms. Much nicer than the pins in my opinion.

The Pinstripes will be a little more lively and not as dead as the hydros.

Since your birch drums tend to have a naturally shorter sustain than maple ones, I would suggest using Pinstripes or clear Emperors (or Evans G2's if you swing that way). They're a much better choice that Hydraulics IMO because they're more versatile. You can make either of those heads sound like a Hydro by muffling them accordingly (a few Moongels ought to do it), and then take the muffling off if you want to return to an open tone. Hydraulics, because of the oil between the plies, are not capable of the same thing. Not to mention, they sound horrible in a live performance; you have to pound the heck out of 'em just to get any tone. Those heads are best suited for practice-room kits and certain studio situations.

The Evans Hydraulic head ... like everyone else has stated ... about the "dead-ist" head you can buy ... certainly has a following ... and works well, in certain applications. I ran them sometimes, on my Vistalites. Mostly, however, I ran Remo Pinstripe on my Vista's ...​
If you're used to the Hydra sound ... Pins are a good step away ... without getting into more "open" sound ... which you might not like, simply because you're not used to the sound of "open" drums.​

I've been using Evans Hydraulics on my toms for over a year now. Overall, I've been happy with them as they give me that fat sound that I like. However, I am considering changing to Remo Pinstipes. The reason for the change is that I have heard people say that the Hydraulics are a bit more difficult to play due to the fact that they don't give much rebound. Is there any truth to this?
I was wondering if any of you could tell me what would be the difference I could expect with this change as far as sound and feel. BTW- I have a birch kit (in case that makes any difference).
Thanks in advance!

I have a few sets to compare all at once (after reading your post), one with new hydraulics, one with Evans G+, one with EC2's and G1s. So I went around and around the sets getting the "Seat of the Pants" opinion.

They all have a wide tuning range. I feel little or no difference in the rebound between all of them with the exception of the G+ and G1s can get a little sloppy feeling when large toms are tuned low, EC2s and Hydralics did not. The hydralics have such a warm fat sound compared to the other skins - a sound that makes you forget any flaw that they might have. They are great for recording!

Thanks for the responses! I will be going for the pinstripes as we are getting ready to gig on a more regular basis and I agree that the Hyros are not the best head for live performances. I think I am wanting a more open sound but not too open.
As far as rebound, I haven't had anything to compare it to, just what I have heard people say. Thanks, 720, for the comparision check!

..... gig on a more regular basis .... Hyros are not the best head for live performances. I think I am wanting a more open sound but not too open...
See, this is one of the faults of "forum" type communication, sometimes it takes "multiple" posts, to get to the "real" situation. You may find even Pinstripe heads too muffled, for live gigs .... if you've not mic'd up ...
The overtones that wide open drums produce (when tuned right) help the drums project and cut thru that wall of noise that some people refer to as "the rest of the band".​
So, Pins ... yes ... a step in the right direction ... see how it goes .... you might have to take two or three steps ... before you get it "spot on". It's just the learning curve we all have to go thru.​

I'd strongly recommend checking out the Evans EC2's as the edge control (SST pattern) is graduated (both in width and thickness of printing) for 6"-18." The result is a much more full sounding set of heads. They also speak well at a wider dynamic range.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Back