Go-to material for Latin applications in Jazz?

Spreggy

Silver Member
I'd like to pull together a shortlist of latin-flavored jazz essentials.
Drummers/albums listening list?
Education essentials on how to apply latin ideas, etc?

@toddbishop has a good listening list in his great little book “Playing Samba and Bossa Nova”. The book is also a good primer for the genre, if that’s what you mean by education essentials. I’m able to cover 95% of the Latin songs we play in our band using that material. Perfect minimalistic survival guide.

@toddbishop has a good listening list in his great little book “Playing Samba and Bossa Nova”. The book is also a good primer for the genre, if that’s what you mean by education essentials. I’m able to cover 95% of the Latin songs we play in our band using that material. Perfect minimalistic survival guide.

will be checking out Todd's book for sure!!!

Elvin
Love Supreme, Pt.1
Elvin Jones- Lp Mr. Jones

he always puts one or two thru his recorded career
Sambra-from Live At The Lighthouse

Last edited:
Just 4 different examples of ME playing Brazilian:

Learn to play both a 2:3 clave, & a 3:2 clave. That, plus playing either just the 3 side of just the 2 side, gives you enough to fake 90% of situations.

Play a backbeat with 2 as a rim click & 4 on a tom, now it's 95%.

Surface barely scratched, & definitely check out the books mentioned, but the above fits nearly all the charts I get given for either big band or small combo jazz.

And sometimes Latin is just shorthand for "don't swing" ;)

Here's one (listen/imitate) that will get a rock guy in-quick..

it's almost/ Jethro Tull ": nothing is Easy".. similar.

one of the greatestalbums ever ; you miss it?..

(yea sorry bout that.
late last night I rediscovered it in my cd collection and..

and )it's not (solely "latin" was recognized as World Music
and it was 1969 (in Paris) I don't know what Ride cymbal Ed was using (but sounds like the one all thru the Ornette Coleman albums; early 60s) kind of a 20" light hi pitch brand unknown
"Mu was one of the first efforts in what would come to be known as world music.[5]
They announced a new, world-embracing esthetic for jazz, for while they included improvising in a Coleman-inspired vein, they also reached out to include rhythm patterns, scales and instruments from Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Pacific."[6]"
everything from bright New Orleans vamps and marches to African songs, folksy Americana to totally free passages."[

Last edited:
Back