Go Simple ply all the way

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hi Guys,

After having always played twin plies tom heads, I did a test few weeks ago : I had a 12" Clear Ambassador that was doing nothing, so I decided to test the sound.
I was not entirely satisfied with my G2 coated on my Premier, I liked them a lot on my former Tamas, but not on the Signia, they were a bit dull and plastic sounding.
And Wow, with the clear Ambassador over G1, it came back to life ! Punchy, lively. I was a bit afraid first, having always played Pinstripe, G2, EC2, Response 2,... for years. But, man, it sounded so great ! More tone and sustain, and no strange harmonics (that I feared). And the touch is much better too.

So I broke the bank and I removed everything, Clear G1 over clear G1 on the 10, 12, 13 ; and G14 on the 14 and 16 batter. The sound is so huge. Of course in some situation I will need dampening, but at least I can remove the dampening when needed.
I'm rediscovering my drum kit right now.
We're often looking for heavy or Hi-tech drumheads, but really, basic G1 on Toms and snare let the drum breathe and speak - very loudly. Nothing in the bass drum, no muffler on the snare. It's loud (a bit too much), but not as overwhelming and out of control as I expected.
I just wanted to share my experience since I surprised myself !

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
After experimenting with almost every drumhead out there, for me, nothing beats a 10 mil undotted, uncoated, plain old clear head.

I do prefer that whatever brand is on top, I like that same head on bottom. Like to me a g1 over g1 sounds better than a g1 over a clear ambassador. I get a purer note sticking with the same brand.

I'm very sensitive about the thickness of a head. Not talking about the feel from playing it, I'm talking about the tone it produces. I swear I think I can hear the difference on recorded toms. A lot of times I say to myself, those are 2 ply heads on that tom. 10 mil heads are the best compromise of attack and tone to my ear.

I could probably get on with coated 10 mil heads, but to my ear, they have to be played for a few months before the coating gets beat down. (not off) Drums sound too "thick" to me with brand new coated heads. I've tried sanding new coated heads, but it's not the same sound as when the coating is "beat down" so it's smooth feeling.

If they could sound like they do a few months in when they are brand new, I'd probably use them.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Good for you! Love foR the single ply remains! I sometimes go with coated ambassadors when I want a more open sound too.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I think it's the best way to hear the full potential of your drum. We've been so used to thinking double ply on toms that it became automatic. I don't say it sounds bad with double, I just mean that the projection and tone are really enhance with 1 ply and the touch is more pleasant too.
My drum has re-ring, and thin shell, I guess it plays an important role. The sound is astonishingly clean despite the uncontrolled heads and tuning wasn't any fuss even between the 13 and 14. Really surprised.
Picture of the lady with brand new heads :
IMG_0381.jpg

To make it short : give G1 / Ambassador a try if you've never done !

G

Ghostnote

I always used to use 2 ply batters on my toms until I got my Legacy kit. Those drums just love single ply batters.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I always used to use 2 ply batters on my toms until I got my Legacy kit. Those drums just love single ply batters.

I think high end maple kits tolerate better those single ply, because they naturally don't have high unwanted harmonics.
G14 are very great, like a compromise. But they're difficult to find down here.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I used G12s as batters on all our latest video shoot & demonstration drums. I hover between G2s & G12s depending on what I'm trying to achieve. I find G14s a little bit "plasticy", & G1s degrade too easily for the job I need them to do, so G12s are in an ideal space for my purposes. I find that clear single ply heads readily display the different tonal characters of the drums. G2s are more of a leveller in that regard.

T

The SunDog

I used G12s as batters on all our latest video shoot & demonstration drums. I hover between G2s & G12s depending on what I'm trying to achieve. I find G14s a little bit "plasticy", & G1s degrade too easily for the job I need them to do, so G12s are in an ideal space for my purposes. I find that clear single ply heads readily display the different tonal characters of the drums. G2s are more of a leveller in that regard.

That's a great observation about the G12 vs the G1. I agree with most of the comments here but two ply is still my thing. All of my drums have a very low fundamental and I tune the batter to a lower third. Two ply heads don't "rumble" the way a single ply does at these relatively low tunings. Like the OP, I play super thin maple shells with sharp inside 45 edges and re-rings.

mike d

Silver Member

I love the G2s, but is it true that the G12s give a lower tone (as the Evens web site suggests)? If so, I would like that (as long as they have some sustain, unlike the EC2s).