GMS Super Vintage drums

piperdoog

Silver Member
Hey gang was curious if anyone has tried out these super vintage shells from GMS.
I have heard nothing but good things about this drum company, and now that they have released these vintage shells I'm more than curious.
Not sure of a price point, only the shell make up.
If the price is right I may pull the trigger, but need more info.

Thanks guys, and girls.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Nice.

6 ply maple shells, with 8 ply reinforcement rings

Round vintage style bearing edges (except on snare side; sharp 45 degree for maximum snare response)

2.3 triple flange hoops

Low-mass tension relieving SE lugs, with GMS swivel insert

Evans drumheads

12 ply 1 ¾” hoops on all bass drums

GMS Grand Master hand tooled brass throw off on all snare drums

Choice of Hi-Gloss “Vintage Lacquer”, “Vintage Duco Lacquer”, Satin or wrap finishes

Unique “Pinlay Stripe” on Duco bass drum hoops (1/4” stripe)

Old-school tone, brand new drums

Made In USA

mikeo

i'm not sure what they mean in the description when they say "the difference is staggering"... are they saying that the new modern drums sound staggeringly better or vice versa?... i would assume since they are making vintage spec drums, that they saying that something has been lost over the years in drum tone? .. i like the idea of what they are talking about, but is seems to come off as a not very well thought out introduction... the kit in the picture could be constructed in any fashion... would have been nice to see some images of the shells to show us the difference in construction... i find with the internet that it is too easy to put up stuff like this... have they done research into vintage shell construction?... what makes them sound that way?... or do they just put a round edge and a rering and now it's magic.... i read that Ludwig studied their vintage kits to rediscover how they made them and what made them sound the way they did before embarking on the Legacy line... anyway, just my two cents

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
i read that Ludwig studied their vintage kits to rediscover how they made them and what made them sound the way they did before embarking on the Legacy line... anyway, just my two cents

Really, LUDWIG probably got lost in the business aspect of making money so much, staying solvent, that they forgot how they used to make their drums?

I guess i could believe that.

MJD

Silver Member
i'm not sure what they mean in the description when they say "the difference is staggering"... are they saying that the new modern drums sound staggeringly better or vice versa?... i would assume since they are making vintage spec drums, that they saying that something has been lost over the years in drum tone? .. i like the idea of what they are talking about, but is seems to come off as a not very well thought out introduction... the kit in the picture could be constructed in any fashion... would have been nice to see some images of the shells to show us the difference in construction... i find with the internet that it is too easy to put up stuff like this... have they done research into vintage shell construction?... what makes them sound that way?... or do they just put a round edge and a rering and now it's magic.... i read that Ludwig studied their vintage kits to rediscover how they made them and what made them sound the way they did before embarking on the Legacy line... anyway, just my two cents
I think they mean that they sound different. Difference in timbre might equate to better or worse depending on who you talk to. I prefer the sound of the older 3 ply with rerings and rounder bearing edge design and since i have examples of both i can say that it does sound different than a modern standard 6-8ply. To me the older one sounds better. To you the newer one might sound better, i dont have your ears or taste. As to Ludwig i really dont know about that but i have played a Legacy classic and it sounds very close to the old Ludwig i have with that design so they seem to have managed to do it correctly. whether they had to rediscover how to do it or just train staff who hadn't been born when the originals were made is open to question.

mikeo

i don't think the same people work at ludwig now that did in the 60's... so since they had not made drums with that formula for x number of years, i'm sure they had to look into it... also i don't think they really had a master plan when they started making drums in those days.... they just came out that way... so i guess they were trying to apply new techniques to get the same result... doesn't seem that far fetched

piperdoog

Silver Member
I looked future into the price on these and they are (to be expected) very expensive. I like GMS but find it hard to shell out that much for something I can't really hit or get a feel for. The Legacy line from Ludwig are nice and I have been able to hit those as they seem more in the mix.
I'm in the market here for a second kit, and I love the 3 ply re rings sound. I'm looking into the Legacy, GMS, and also C&C.
Any thoughts?

mikeo

c&c player dates are a good kit.. i hit a 12 inch tom on one and it sounded real nice.. pretty competitive price as well

Mark Di Claudio

I am a professional drummer and am very discerning in how my drums look, feel & sound. I own a GMS Super Vintage kit and have owned / played live and recorded with a multitude of original vintage kits (Ludwig, Rogers, etc) and have to say that the new GMS drums sound and feel better to me. They sound rounder, warmer, with no ugly overtones, are much easier to tune and have excellent tuning ranges compared to the old kits.

All this to say that since getting my GMS's, I've sold all my old vintage gear! :)

RickP

Gold Member
GMS makes beautiful great sounding kits. They also do fantastic lacquer finishes. Their workmanship is top notch. These would be high on my list if I was In the market for a Boutique made kit.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Hey gang was curious if anyone has tried out these super vintage shells from GMS.
Not GMS, but I don't think they make their own shells. I think they use Keller shells, and yes, I've played drums made from the vintage Keller lines. Both the maple, and the mahogany. They sound great. And deliver the "vintage" sound they're trying to recreate.​
If you've ever played a vintage drum kit (like a pre 76 Ludwig ..... or a pre 78 Rogers), there is a difference. The thin shells with the reinforcement ring sound different from later (Ludwig 6 ply .... or Rogers XP-8) shells. Now, whether that's good .... or bad .... that's for your tastes to decide.​
It's certainly not a case of manufactures forgot how to make drums. They changed shell design because drummers wanted louder drums. Drums that projected more. And that's what the stadium shell brings to the table. And now, the market is awash with modern, stadium shelled drums. And it's the "vintage" design that's now the minority. The new Tama Star line ..... is a throwback to the age of thin shell/reinforcement ring days. What's old .... is new again.​

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I just checked out a new set in bop sizes and they sounded amazing. Much like a Radio King sound with good projection and sustain for a 12-!4-20 set. I hope to find a larger shell kit sometime to listen to. The silver & blue duco finish was top notch.

Last edited: