GMS Drums

RickP

Gold Member
What is going on with GMS Drums ? Are they still in business ? The website has had little updates over the last few years and their Facebook page has not been updated very much if at all .

I have always been a fan of GMS . I always though GMS and Noble and Cooley to be the best of the best when it comes to the long time boutique builders . Some of the absolute best lacquer finishes have been on some GMS kits ai have seen .

I remember wanting the Asian gms kit when I saw it reviewed in modern drummer with jo jo Mayer on the cover. 6 months go by..im ready to buy and couldn't find them anywhere. I'm not a fan of white drums but that 4 piece reviewed in white was just ultra cool.

I’ve wondered about GMS from time to time and haven’t found any recent news.
I knew a guy who bought a set of Amber finished GMS around 93-94 and they sounded incredible. At that time, they struck me as very similar to N&C in terms of quality and boutique vibe.

Funny this thread appeared. A set of maple GMS drums just came on my local Craigslist today for $1,200..which I thought was a pretty good deal.

There was an interview of the GMS owners / creator on Drum History podcast. They seemed active but more for very special orders.
the website seems to be stuck since a long time.

I don't know if they are still around, but they used to make pretty good drums back in the 1990s from what I know. Also, the resale on them isn't that great, so you can pick up a really decent set for a very fair price these days. A lot of the used sets have really deep toms, so maybe the sizes are sort of out of vogue.

In short, I would buy them to play, not to flip.

I've played a few kits as well, they're great drums. I just could never get past their lugs and big square logo badge, just as some people can't get past DW's turret lugs. But I certainly wouldn't turn down a set either. :)

There was an interview of the GMS owners / creator on Drum History podcast. They seemed active but more for very special orders.
the website seems to be stuck since a long time.
This is the most recent thing I have heard from Rob and Tony with GMS. Great interview! I wanted to add another floor tom to my kit, but they no longer make the long brass lugs.

One afternoon I was just rapping with Jason about drums who's dad owned JD Drumcenter. He had been to countless namm shows and I asked him..out of all the kits you've seen and heard over all these years does anything stand out to you?. He paused and said GMS. That carried weight with me.

To be fair, most of the NAMM kits aren't tuned at all.

Which I'll never understand, there's loads of time for it.

Back