gloves for drummers

KDB

so I have little baby hands and need some gloves to keep myself from getting blisters. when I'm done playing ill have painful blisters and some times I'll literals leave some blood on the kit and sticks, so I just need some recommendations on drumming gloves.

How long have you been playing and how much time do you spend each day? It's normal for someone to get blisters when starting out but that goes away once you get better control of your sticks.

I don't play with gloves, but for transporting, breaking down, and setting up equipment, I use AHEAD drumming gloves. They're very well made. You can order them directly from AHEAD or from a variety of other retailers.

I will second the golf gloves. Just make sure you buy a left and a right.

Bandaids are your friends. When you start to get a blister put a bandaid over it. It will take the abuse of the stick instead of your skin.

I dont know what sticks you use, but you may consider going thicker/thinner. Blisters could be from squeezing too hard to hold on to the stick because it doesn't really fit your hand.

How long have you been playing and how much time do you spend each day? It's normal for someone to get blisters when starting out but that goes away once you get better control of your sticks.
well I have been playing for 5 years, but the blisters only started earlier this year. and lately I haven't had allot of time for drumming so when I do I get blisters.

I hadn't played in years then got back into it 7 years ago. I too was getting blisters, but after a while they stopped. I attribute that to getting used to holding the sticks again and relearning control. No more problems. I never used gloves during my pro career and no offense, think they're a bit "sissy".

I’ve never worn drumming gloves. The trick is to maintain a relaxed grip when playing. Gripping the stick too firmly not only causes blisters, it also makes playing more difficult than it needs to be and can even contribute to dented heads and broken cymbals.

I know this is a dormant thread, but I searched for "gloves" after my experience yesterday, and here I am. :)

I started playing when I was 9, and I am almost 6 decades now. The last time I I got a blister was my teens when I played like an animal. These days, I play much different - loose grip, lighter touch.

I never considered gloves. It seemed unnecessary to me. Yesterday I had a first gig since - last year. At the same time, I also switched sticks because my beloved Regal Tip Jazz Nylons - and RT's in general - are pretty much wiped off the planet. I chose a Promark Jazz Nylon which is nearly identical to the RT Jazz Nylon - in length, width, and weight. But, I guess the finish is different.

Well, the gig yesterday was outdoors. It was Cold. Halfway through the gig, I got a deep blister on my pinky that ripped open. Was painful, and I couldn't have the stick come in contact with it. So I spent the rest of the gig with the pinky out of the left hand grip.

So, maybe for these early spring, chillier gigs, I should get some gloves. Going to go look at the suggestion for golf gloves. Looking for something very thin. Just enough to help with the grip and avoid a blister.

I know this is a dormant thread, but I searched for "gloves" after my experience yesterday, and here I am. :)

I started playing when I was 9, and I am almost 6 decades now. The last time I I got a blister was my teens when I played like an animal. These days, I play much different - loose grip, lighter touch.

I never considered gloves. It seemed unnecessary to me. Yesterday I had a first gig since - last year. At the same time, I also switched sticks because my beloved Regal Tip Jazz Nylons - and RT's in general - are pretty much wiped off the planet. I chose a Promark Jazz Nylon which is nearly identical to the RT Jazz Nylon - in length, width, and weight. But, I guess the finish is different.

Well, the gig yesterday was outdoors. It was Cold. Halfway through the gig, I got a deep blister on my pinky that ripped open. Was painful, and I couldn't have the stick come in contact with it. So I spent the rest of the gig with the pinky out of the left hand grip.

So, maybe for these early spring, chillier gigs, I should get some gloves. Going to go look at the suggestion for golf gloves. Looking for something very thin. Just enough to help with the grip and avoid a blister.
Ever try batting gloves? They are thin, tight, come in pairs.

Yeah, I might go that way. I used to wear batting gloves when I rode a motorcycle, and they were very thin and comfortable.

Blisters are part of the equation. When I go for a period of not playing, it is inevitable that I'll get blisters since my hands are no longer used to playing. But once I've played for a bit consistently, the blisters go away. I just bandage the blisters until they are healed. I wouldn't think of putting gloves on. I feel that I need the direct connection between myself and the sticks. So much of drumming is finesse and I feel gloves would only interfere with that.

Blisters are part of the equation. When I go for a period of not playing, it is inevitable that I'll get blisters since my hands are no longer used to playing. But once I've played for a bit consistently, the blisters go away. I just bandage the blisters until they are healed. I wouldn't think of putting gloves on. I feel that I need the direct connection between myself and the sticks. So much of drumming is finesse and I feel gloves would only interfere with that.

I think I would struggle to play a smooth quiet buzz roll with gloves, and quiet ruffs/drags too. Other then that, I think I’d be ok.

At one time I started getting blisters so I started wearing drumming gloves. I hated wearing them..it was like wearing a condom. I took them off and manned up until callouses built up but then! the callouses! Started splitting so I wore gloves AGAIN!. Today I've got no splitting of the built up callous. It was a bad phase.

There are ways to move a stick without blistering.

Blistering is a sign of...there's a better way to do it.

I really don’t want to come off like a jerk, because I often DO come off like a jerk, but yeah, you are very right. I’ve literally never had a blister in 35 years of playing. And there have been times I practiced 3-4 hours a day for weeks, plus playing in band/orchestra/etc..

All my callouses went away when I stopped gigging. I guess not playing for at least 2-3 hours a day everyday anymore gave my hands time to soften. Havent had any blisters in who knows when.

Back