gloves for drummers

C.M. Jones

I don't use gloves, nor do I have drumming-related hand problems, but I do understand the appeal of gloves under certain circumstances. Gloves don't only serve to discourage blisters; they also reduce the hand's exposure to vibrations. A drumstick has to vibrate to function. Regardless of how loosely they might grip their sticks, some drummers are more vulnerable to vibrations than others. Over time, this predicament can promote disorders. Gloves can be an extra line of defense.

C.M. Jones

I have minions to move gear ?
Lucky you. It's rare that I get gig support, but as soon as my son (now seven) gets a few more candles on his cake, I'll be happy to introduce him to the demands of transport. I'll say something like, "So if you wanna be a drummer, take those stands to the truck." Hopefully, he'll think that's inspiring.

Last edited:

SharkSandwich

If gloves work for you great, I wasn't able to get used to the feel of them.

Then I found this Head tennis racket grip and it's been an absolute game changer. Saves my hands
without the feeling of gloves. One strip will do a pair of sticks.

I highly recommend it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 1.30.29 PM.png

C.M. Jones

If gloves work for you great, I wasn't able to get used to the feel of them.

Then I found this Head tennis racket grip and it's been an absolute game changer. Saves my hands
without the feeling of gloves. One strip will do a pair of sticks.

I highly recommend it.

View attachment 103456

I use AHEAD sticks with white grip tape, though not to avoid blisters and such. AHEAD sticks have metal handles, and grip tape makes them more comfortable.

IBitePrettyHard

I am not in favor of using gloves while drumming, (unless you're someone like Carter Beauford who needs them due to a hand injury). The only other time is when you're playing a gig outdoors and it's below freezing. I once had to use gloves during a polka (lol) gig on New Year's Eve.

Blisters are common when you first start learning the drums, but after that initial break-in period, you shouldn't get blisters anymore. If you still get blisters after 6 months, then your technique needs improvement. You're likely gripping the sticks wrong or holding them too tightly.

Sorry for poo-pooing the entire thread, tho. :LOL: Carry on.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
so I have little baby hands and need some gloves to keep myself from getting blisters. when I'm done playing ill have painful blisters and some times I'll literals leave some blood on the kit and sticks, so I just need some recommendations on drumming gloves.

My hands get dry depending on the weather/season, and with the amount of gigs I’m playing and practicing for, the skin on my fingers has begun cracking. It’s really painful and very annoying. So for the first time ever, I bought a pair of those Zildjian gloves from Guitar Center. I really like them, and they serve me well.

rocker261

I started with Zyldjian gloves, they're not too bad and not expensive. But I switched to ProMark and like them even more. They're more durable, longer lasting, firmer, and more solid grip. But also much more expensive.

davezedlee

painter's gloves might be worth a try... they're rubberized on one side only, and have a breathable mesh on the backs

handy when your hands are cold, or just want some grip... and they're only $5