Gloryhammer - The Epic Tour of Furious Thunder

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Hello everyone! I've just got back from our headline tour of the UK, which was absolutely brilliant fun, and we are now inundated with footage of Gloryhammer playing live so I'm going to share some highlights with you so those of you who are interested can get a proper sense of what this whole thing is all about.

These videos of the penultimate show at the Garage in London have the best sound of the ones I've found so far:

Anstruther's Dark Prophecy/The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee

Quest For The Hammer Of Glory

The Epic Rage of Furious Thunder

There's a few close-up ones from the Classic Grand in Glasgow that look good and give a good sense of the atmosphere but don't have the best sound:

Amulet of Justice

Magic Dragon

This was the second show of the tour, so we were still not quite sure what we were doing but it's still fun.

A couple more from Glasgow:

Angus McFife

Silent Tears of Frozen Princess

Beneath Cowdenbeath

Wizards/Unst Anthem (encore)

All in all we were blown away with the response we got. We really had no idea how it was going to go, so we are all very pleased that it went so well.

I'm sure I could tell you lots more stuff but I'm tired and I don't know what else to put so I'll turn it over to you guys now!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ben - just EPIC!!!! I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to catch you live. Genuinely, I'm bummed about that, but I've had a torrid few weeks & more busy than I can relay here.

That aside, what a show!!! Sound in London was superb, atmosphere in Glasgow was something else. All those hammers!!!!!

Really, I couldn't be more pleased for you, or more impressed. I hope this continues to grow for you. You deserve this, not only because you're a great bloke, but because you're a class act drummer too :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Your crew dress as goblins? How cool is that!

Love your playing in the Bristol clip Ben. Classic slow power rock drumming with plenty of open hats action. I love it!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Yes, we had one goblin. I think I'm going to refer to stage techs as goblins from now on.

And yes, thanks, I like how it sounds too, I wish I'd played it like that on the album really but I was afraid it wouldn't be metal enough.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
And yes, thanks, I like how it sounds too, I wish I'd played it like that on the album really but I was afraid it wouldn't be metal enough.
It's a shame to compromise your artistic choices on that basis, but that's real life. There's a product expectation, & focus needs to be maintained.

Personally, I love the fact that you sometimes dial the metal drumming side back & go a bit old school rock in your performances. Your use of alternating single & double bass drum through the verse of your "single" is a masterstroke IMO.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Geez Ben it seems like you are living the dream. Your fans know all the words. What a great band, and your drumming is, as always, exactly right. It always feels just right. I can't say enough good things.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
It's a shame to compromise your artistic choices on that basis, but that's real life. There's a product expectation, & focus needs to be maintained.

Personally, I love the fact that you sometimes dial the metal drumming side back & go a bit old school rock in your performances. Your use of alternating single & double bass drum through the verse of your "single" is a masterstroke IMO.
To be honest it was just that I didn't want it to come off a bit naff, I just wanted to make sure I was playing for the songs as much as possible. It's all very well putting some funk in but if it takes the edge off the song then I'd just be undermining the composition for the sake of my own ego, which isn't what I want to do obviously.

I don't think I can claim full credit for that part you're referring to, I think that may have been something I decided to keep in from the Guitar Pro demo rather than an original idea from me. But yeah, generally I take more of a classic rock approach than a metal one, if the material will allow it.

You've said more than enough good things Larry! I think I owe everyone about a hundred beers for all the nice things they've said.