Gloryhammer in space

PQleyR

Platinum Member
As you might possibly have seen, my band Gloryhammer has a new music video online, for the opening track of our upcoming second album.
It's very silly. I think you will probably enjoy it even if you hate the music, so I recommend having a look.

Rise of the Chaos Wizards

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Super epic! Haha this is awesome.

Did you trigger your bass drums?
Thanks! No, no triggers, but we actually tracked the kick separately for some of this in order to get as much attack as possible (in order to not need to blend in samples). It makes it a bit more lively-sounding.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Suitably very silly as ever, Ben. I hope this one is a success like the last one. The views looks good on YouTube and hopefully you get the same buzz! Good work all around.

PQleyR

Platinum Member

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Thanks! No, no triggers, but we actually tracked the kick separately for some of this in order to get as much attack as possible (in order to not need to blend in samples). It makes it a bit more lively-sounding.
Oh that's good! So much metal players these days play like a centimeter off their bass heads because they have no actual chops so its all triggered. Glad to see you didn't go that route!

Interesting technique too, recording them separately! I think Manowar's drummer would occasionally do that as well.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I had a good laugh Ben - but I liked the song actually, I found it a bit Nightwish-y in places (apart from the vocal).

It must have been interesting shooting for the vid against a blue screen and then seeing the end result, I liked the way you elevate from the ground in the clip :)

Double bass drums? In all the live setting I've seen of you, you use a single kick, is that a novelty or just for the video.

Is it me or did I see you're using drumsticks with no tips?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I had a good laugh Ben - but I liked the song actually, I found it a bit Nightwish-y in places (apart from the vocal).

It must have been interesting shooting for the vid against a blue screen and then seeing the end result, I liked the way you elevate from the ground in the clip :)

Double bass drums? In all the live setting I've seen of you, you use a single kick, is that a novelty or just for the video.

Is it me or did I see you're using drumsticks with no tips?
Those sticks were Pro Mark TX2BNs I think, so nylon tips...

Yeah, it was very interesting to see the process. Our last video was just shot on location so we had a pretty good idea what it would look like, but this was more of a surprise.

As far as the bass drums go, that was the drum kit the studio provided (you can also see it in the videos for Shipwrecked and Death Throes of the Terrorsquid by Alestorm)...I don't own two bass drums, so I only use one live. I'd like to have two at some point.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Wow what an epic! You guys keep upping the ante. Fantastic drum track Ben, much respect. I like the galloping double bass in the verses. That little bit of space makes draws me in. I like the whole song. Fantasy is cool. The half time part was a nice break before the lead.

Is that the band doing the backing vocals? They nail it.

Props on the I guess it's cgi for the video stuff. I wish I had one of those things that fired green balls of energy out my chest.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Wow what an epic! You guys keep upping the ante. Fantastic drum track Ben, much respect. I like the galloping double bass in the verses. That little bit of space makes draws me in. I like the whole song. Fantasy is cool. The half time part was a nice break before the lead.

Is that the band doing the backing vocals? They nail it.

Props on the I guess it's cgi for the video stuff. I wish I had one of those things that fired green balls of energy out my chest.
Thanks Larry! Um, as far as the backing vocals go...there's a lot of stuff going on. There's the choral stuff, which has my sister, another female singer, my mum and a male friend of ours on it...then the stuff we did at the studio which is me, Chris (keys) and Tom (vocals)...sometimes these both happen at once. Then there's Tom's harmonies in the chorus, which also features the choir doing the 'ahhs' AND there's also a vocoder part which I did using the lead vocals as the modulator...

...does that clear things up at all?

Very entertaining in a B movie sorta way. Keep it up!
Thanks! I think that's what everyone concerned was going for. It has been pointed out that it's somewhat reminiscent of this too.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I just kept thinking "wow, how much money did the band spend on this video?" lol

Congrats on getting on Napalm records.