Gloryhammer at Steel-Meets-Steel, Castrop-Rauxel

You guys seriously have something going on there. Your drumming is so friggin perfect here, I love it. But more than that, your band has seemed to tap into a sound that is both modern and ancient at the same time. I don't see how this stuff cannot take off. Highest honors sir.

Aw, thanks Larry, you are too kind. And I have to say, based on the reactions we've been getting so far, we seem to be just about getting airbourne, if it's not too obtuse of me to extend your metaphor. I mean, Castrop-Rauxel isn't exactly a home crowd for any of us...it's miles away from where any of us are from, and while it's in Germany, it's not really the centre of the metal universe either, so to be able to get a bunch of people turning up who plainly know all the songs and expect a hammerin' good time is a positive sign for the future, I hope.

to be able to get a bunch of people turning up who plainly know all the songs and expect a hammerin' good time is a positive sign for the future, I hope.
This is great stuff Ben! Very positive signs for the future, & I hope the "roll" continues. You're off to a very promising start, that's for sure.

I thought the videos were good. Trying to get past the camera sound quality, you can hear that the mix is good, & the band are playing well. More specifically, your drums are well up in the mix, & your playing is absolutely faultless. Loving your journey, 7 looking forward to meeting up again at the LDS!

Only slight negative - maybe it's the recording, but the cymbals sound like shit. Backline gear? Gated?

I think it's just the recording/maybe some aggressive filtering at the desk, they're the same cymbals I used on the album (almost), and for the other gigs. The crashes do have quite a short decay but amplified appropriately that shouldn't be a huge issue, so I think it's probably just the recording/FOH mix on the day.

Sounds great!
Really good to see another fellow Brit band doing there best to make some headway, good luck to you!

I think it's just the recording/maybe some aggressive filtering at the desk, they're the same cymbals I used on the album (almost), and for the other gigs. The crashes do have quite a short decay but amplified appropriately that shouldn't be a huge issue, so I think it's probably just the recording/FOH mix on the day.
I think you're right Ben. On listening back to the second recording (potentially more stage sound), there's a noticeable improvement :)

Aw, thanks Larry, you are too kind. And I have to say, based on the reactions we've been getting so far, we seem to be just about getting airbourne, if it's not too obtuse of me to extend your metaphor. I mean, Castrop-Rauxel isn't exactly a home crowd for any of us...it's miles away from where any of us are from, and while it's in Germany, it's not really the centre of the metal universe either, so to be able to get a bunch of people turning up who plainly know all the songs and expect a hammerin' good time is a positive sign for the future, I hope.

I most definitely get the feeling that there is in fact a takeoff going on with your band. Just the look of the people in the audience, seeing how deeply they are feeling your music. You guys really have something here. The look, the songs, the sound....And they are not hamstringed by a weak drummer. Your even time and your beautiful execution and your playing choices are all working together beautifully. You are a big part why the music sounds/feels so good. I hear no weaknesses in the total resolved sound, each member is doing great.

Thanks so much Larry. It means a lot to me that you would say those things.

Another video has surfaced today! Quest For The Hammer Of Glory, which is one of my favourites to play as it allows me to get my groove on a bit more than some of the uptempo ones.

That's a very nice groove indeed! The drums are adding a lot to the overall impression. It's nice to see that you didn't simply slap a standard (closed) hihat pattern onto that 2nd song! Plus, you have a really good singer a huge number of bands can only dream of - and you know it, don't you? haha

I think that this tune has quite some more potential in terms of chord progression (I was just anticipating/feeling some different chords but those didn't happen) and also some vocal melodies at parts, but that's subjective. I liked the previous song much more. That 2nd one is nice overall but (to my ears) leaves some things to be desired.

BTW, that 2nd Youtube video has an insanely crushing level, haha - clipping like hell ;-)

Last edited:
Yes, Tom is a very good singer, and we are thankful for it every day!

I'm not sure quite which songs you're referring to as there were three songs I posted total, but I think you're talking about the third one as the '2nd' a few times. Yes, sound quality isn't great.

Next album will probably be more harmonically adventurous if I have anything to do with it.
This was my writing contribution to the album, and I tried to keep it in the Gloryhammer idiom while pushing the envelope a bit more with the harmony. However, there is a lot to be said for simplicity...one of the objectives of this band is to go back to the straightforward, simple power metal of the 90s that you could sing along to, rather than the meandering 'progressive' overcomplicated stuff that has become de rigeur of late.

Last edited:
Back