Gloryhammer at Ice-Rock, Switzerland

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Hi guys! I've not posted any videos for a while so I thought this was a good chance to do that. This is from our most recent show in Switzerland, and the sound is quite good overally. Except the drums which actually sound a bit weird, especially the snare...might have inadvertently tuned it in an odd way without realising it. Anyway, here you go:

The Epic Rage of Furious Thunder

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
loving the stand up drama drumming at the end Ben :) Female vocal sections added some flavour too. Great looking gig, but oh man, did that compare like the sound of his own voice!

Drums sounded fairly good, especially in that context. Just a guess, but I think the snare sound was as much to do with desk EQ as anything else.

jgvideira

What a pleasant surprise! Have been listening/playing along to Gloryhammer for a couple of months now. Love it!

Been looking all over on youtube for some live action, thanks for that!
I personally like this one: Link tho the sound is not that great.

Waiting for a concert in Brazil ;)

Arky

Platinum Member
Cool performance! You all put on a professional show and the playing/singing was tight.

The first part that really grabbed my ears was from 7.41. Especially the female singer - she's superb! What a beautiful voice - I have a weakness for lovely female vocals. The first time I heard her voice it moved me to tears. Would you mind sharing her name?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
loving the stand up drama drumming at the end Ben :) Female vocal sections added some flavour too. Great looking gig, but oh man, did that compare like the sound of his own voice!

Drums sounded fairly good, especially in that context. Just a guess, but I think the snare sound was as much to do with desk EQ as anything else.
I've never previously felt the need to stand up while playing but it just seemed like a good idea at the time! The more ridiculous we can make things the better.

I keep wondering if it really was EQ, or maybe even that reverb...I still suspect I might have not tuned the resonant head high enough though.

What a pleasant surprise! Have been listening/playing along to Gloryhammer for a couple of months now. Love it!

Been looking all over on youtube for some live action, thanks for that!
I personally like this one: Link tho the sound is not that great.

Waiting for a concert in Brazil ;)
I think you're the first person on here who's heard of Gloryhammer without me telling them about it! Pleased to make your acquaintance! We'll get to Brazil eventually I'm sure, there are always plenty of people asking about it.

Cool performance! You all put on a professional show and the playing/singing was tight.

The first part that really grabbed my ears was from 7.41. Especially the female singer - she's superb! What a beautiful voice - I have a weakness for lovely female vocals. The first time I heard her voice it moved me to tears. Would you mind sharing her name?
I had a lot of fun doing the orchestral parts for that section. Well, mostly what you're hearing are the vocals from the album, which were performed by Marie Lorey. Our princess for this show was our singer's girlfriend Lorina but we don't always have a princess live so we can't rely on someone being there to do the vocals every time, hence having most of it on the backing track.

Magenta

Platinum Member
FAB-U-LOUS! I was absolutely entranced - I can only imagine what the atmosphere was like at the venue. Honestly, I haven't enjoyed anything so much for ages!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
FAB-U-LOUS! I was absolutely entranced - I can only imagine what the atmosphere was like at the venue. Honestly, I haven't enjoyed anything so much for ages!
You are too kind! Yes, it was fun, although the response was not the best we've seen, we have had some pretty exuberant reactions to our shows before. Beautiful setting though, and a really unique experience all round...it was a small festival in a fairly remote part of Switzerland in a wooden outbuilding in the snow! Very special.

Is there a particular genre for this music? Something/ metal?
Yeah, power metal. We call it Heroic Fantasty Power Metal, but that's more of a satire on bands coining an entire genre just for their music than a real description. I guess it's also a sort of mission statement.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I find as well...when I slacken the head off all the way for any reason I never seem to tension it up enough again. You seem to have to keep going and going!
Exactly! Just when you think it's tight enough, do it again :) Obviously - to a point. No benefit in choking the drum, & different drums have different pitch capacity. If you have, or are considering a Tunebot, max your reso head out at a lug frequency of no more than 400Hz.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Now that's how to entertain a crowd!
I'm glad the audience agreed with you! It's always a bit of a surprise that they don't just go 'what a bunch of morons'. Maybe it's the quiet ones that do that.

Exactly! Just when you think it's tight enough, do it again :) Obviously - to a point. No benefit in choking the drum, & different drums have different pitch capacity. If you have, or are considering a Tunebot, max your reso head out at a lug frequency of no more than 400Hz.
I may well end up getting one eventually, I've seen them in action plenty and they seem really good.

Someone's just posted another video from that show, Quest for the Hammer of Glory. I'm still trying to work out why the snare sounds like that. I think this must be a recording from the desk, it sounds too direct to be just a camera mic.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
What an epic experience Ben. Coolest band ever. A not so thinly veiled attempt at greatness lol.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Thanks Larry. I'm sure this much praise is bad for me. Oh, before I forget, I should mention that this post isn't to be construed as any form of marketing. I would never sink so low.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wish I could see you better is my only wish. Your playing is so precise, your cymbal catches are so tight. Pretty impressive band you got there.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I should mention that this post isn't to be construed as any form of marketing. I would never sink so low.
Ben... that such a thinly veiled comment coming from you...

But I say this, now I'm here...

It always puzzle me to see you as Gloryhammer's drummer, the music style, the drumming you do... is SO different than meeting you in person, you're the opposite of what you do, calm, restraint, educated, philosophical, soft spoken... not what you normally associate to a metal player :)

Nice gig and nice location :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Quest for the Hammer of Glory[/URL]. I'm still trying to work out why the snare sounds like that. I think this must be a recording from the desk, it sounds too direct to be just a camera mic.
I quite like the snare sound in that clip. Sits well with the song. Perhaps a bit more cut would be nice. Yes, I think that's from the desk.

I would never sink so low.
What are you trying to say oh epic one? ;)

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Ben... that such a thinly veiled comment coming from you...

But I say this, now I'm here...

It always puzzle me to see you as Gloryhammer's drummer, the music style, the drumming you do... is SO different than meeting you in person, you're the opposite of what you do, calm, restraint, educated, philosophical, soft spoken... not what you normally associate to a metal player :)

Nice gig and nice location :)
Well, I think that might have more to do with people's preconceptions about metal musicians than anything else. Metal musicians are quite often fairly mild-mannered people in my experience (though perhaps not always). I've always liked intense music though, whatever form the intensity takes, and, well, I just feel like I want to play loud and make a big impact with what I'm doing.

I suppose metal these days demands a similar level of dedication and time spent on technique as jazz does, so a slight intellectual bent among its devotees isn't altogether surprising. Jazz musicians crossed with extreme sports fanatics is probably about right.

I quite like the snare sound in that clip. Sits well with the song. Perhaps a bit more cut would be nice. Yes, I think that's from the desk.

What are you trying to say oh epic one? ;)
Well, I've recently heard that it's unseemly to advertise anything on a forum, so I'm being extra careful now.