Glockenspiel "damper"?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
You can buy a type of glockenspiel with a pedal system like a vibraphone. But they are rare. Most players dampen with their palm or fingers if they need a staccato note.

Thanks men. I'm working on a damper bar activated by a foot switch, electro-magnets and who-knows-what-else! I thought, hoped, there might be something already available? Never mind; the project will keep me off the streets for a while!😜
Thanks.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Hi, has anybody invented a "damper" system for glockenspiel?.........or is that defeating the object?
I’ve heard of them, but never seen one. In the orchestral world, you just use the soft underside of your forearms to muffle. Sometimes you have to be quick with it. But I like the idea.

Thanks for them trying to modify my much less illustrious is information; looks "the business"! However, it's a bit out of my reach and their website doesn't appear buyer friendly. It looks a splendid instrument but I'm trying to upgrade my much less illustrious glock'. I would love a Kolberg but, in honesty, I couldn't justify it and my ability level doesn't deserve one. Thank you again for the information, I'll muddle on. Chris (UK)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

If you want every note short for a whole section of music - lay a scarf along the top, touching both sets of bars.
I used to do something like this, but the main technique is as PushPull mentioned, you use some part of your fingers/hand/arm etc in most cases.

We were lucky enough to get one of the Tama pedal glocks last year, so now we also have the pedal one, which actually also sounds more "full"

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I used to do something like this, but the main technique is as PushPull mentioned, you use some part of your fingers/hand/arm etc in most cases.

We were lucky enough to get one of the Tama pedal glocks last year, so now we also have the pedal one, which actually also sounds more "full"

Man, that would make some orchestral stuff a lot easier.

Jhostetler

If you want every note short for a whole section of music - lay a scarf along the top, touching both sets of bars.
In college we kept a large supply of hand towels in the closet for damping purposes. Roll it up tight and place it right on top. Cheap and it worked.

Thanks for this tip clearly originating from experience........but I'm hoping for more "detailed" control..........and darling in electro-magnetic gadgetry could add to the fun.....who knows?
Thank you.