Glass glitter wrap

Good Karma

I read several articles/reviews about this wrap, they mostly say the same thing. Looks amazing, if you're into that retro look. But also they mentioned after time it becomes brittle and will crack easily regardless if its glued on or if high bond tape is used.

I'm sure, some of you have this wrap on your kits or had it in the past.

Whats concerning to me, the few manufacturers that I've looked at the bass drum requires 2 piece and if it true how fragile this wrap is. Will the bottom piece start to show wear quickly after its installation?
I would think that the durability factor for this wrap would have somewhat a standard.

I mean, what's the point of having a kit that looks amazing but you can touch or play it because is so easily damaged

Thanks for the positive feedback

incrementalg

Gold Member
I have a Gretsch glass glitter set and there’s no issues with the wrap at all. I’ve had a few wrapped sets over the years and never experienced a problem. Sure, if it’s a 30 year old set that’s been gigged the wrap may have some cracks or wear, but it’s a wrap...you can change it.

acsunda

I just wrapped a Slingerland kit in gold glass glitter. It’s heavy and brittle and can be cumbersome to work with, but once it’s adhered to the shell (I used contact cement), it’s solid. As far as the bass drum wrap, I actually find it easier to wrap the shell because it’s in two pieces. Do the smaller bottom piece first and overlap the larger piece. Contact cement is pretty much for keeps, so once it’s dry, it’s not going to easily wear or crack.

Stroman

Platinum Member
My Ludwigs are blue glass glitter, and 10 years later they are still in excellent shape. They have been gigged indoors and out, set up in a sunny room at home, and stored in a storage unit that wasn't climate controlled, and so far so good.

Last edited:

roncadillac

I sacrifice some of the up close visual flare of glass glitter and go with sparkle. From a distance it's close enough visually but much more durable.

acsunda

I sacrifice some of the up close visual flare of glass glitter and go with sparkle. From a distance it's close enough visually but much more durable.
Ooh man, I have to respectfully disagree. In my experience the difference between sparkles and glass glitters is pretty significant, even from the crowd.

roncadillac

Ooh man, I have to respectfully disagree. In my experience the difference between sparkles and glass glitters is pretty significant, even from the crowd.

I can agree (even though that is contrary to my previous post) and take no offense of course. I guess I should have said 'close enough for me'. I definitely agree glass glitter looks better then sparkle, I'm just fine with sparkle.

I absolutely would love a purple glass glitter though or orange/tangerine. So classy but funky.

acsunda

I can agree (even though that is contrary to my previous post) and take no offense of course. I guess I should have said 'close enough for me'. I definitely agree glass glitter looks better then sparkle, I'm just fine with sparkle.

I absolutely would love a purple glass glitter though or orange/tangerine. So classy but funky.
Man, I almost went with purple glass glitter on a recent wrap project, but a buddy told me he thought it was just a little too wild, and I went with turquoise oyster instead. I love the turquoise oyster, but I still regret not going with the purple glitter.

NouveauCliche

Man, I almost went with purple glass glitter on a recent wrap project, but a buddy told me he thought it was just a little too wild, and I went with turquoise oyster instead. I love the turquoise oyster, but I still regret not going with the purple glitter.

Purple glitter too wild?

It's not even vaguely wild - just....purple.

Attachments

• purple glass.jpg
    purple glass.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 19

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I haven’t owned my glass glitter set long enough to say, but did run across a 60s Gretsch in Blue Glass that was just :love::love::love:

justadrummer

I'm a fan of Glass Glitter wraps for their look and durability.

I bought my DW Collector's Series kit brand new in 2008 with a "Broken Glass finish. (Silver Glass glitter.) I gigged it a lot over the years, and it still looks like new. This photo is from 2017, At this point I had gigged them hundreds of times. I do use Humes and Berg Enduro cases.

1598577352622.png

I bought my new Gretsch USA Custom kit in the same finish in 2019, and expanded it into a shell bank in 2020.

1598577600387.png

Here is the Gretsch USA Custom kit under the lights in 2019.

1598579254625.png

Here are my 2008 DW Collector's Series 12" tom and my 2019 Gretsch USA Custom 12" tom mounted sis by side for comparison in natural light.

1598579417506.png

As for holding up well, here is a 1964 Gretsch Progressive Jazz 4" deep snare that I bought from Donn Bennett this past May. The silver glass glitter wrap still looks great.

1598578076513.png

Here is the 1964 Progressive Jazz 4" deep on the far left, a 2019 Gretsch USA Custom 5" deep next, a 1967 Gretsch 5 1/2" deep six lug Dixieland snare, and lastly, a 2020 Gretsch USA Custom 6 1/2" deep snare. The vintage snares fit in well with the new.

1598578449875.png

Last edited:

Bozozoid

I've seen a gazillion kits and to this day the standout was this single blue sparkle gretsch 16" floor tom sitting on the floor special ordered. I've lusted over that drum forever. The diecast hoops..the diamond shaped floor tom leg holders..the frosted white heads..it was love at first sight and first loves are the strongest but I could have a fling with that purple sparkle ludwig kit. Hey..you busy tonight sexy?.

Drumprof

I think the Ginger Ale color is real nice. its not silver and it’s not gold.
and to the subject of the thread, I think glass just adds pop to the finish especially under lighting.
Have had no issues with mine.
Check it out under some stage lights. FF7043C7-C51C-4A67-BB2D-D994494A08C3.jpeg