Give feedback on my band's 2 new original songs

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
So look man. Obviously you are a young drummer who is enthusiastic about jamming with your buddy. That is a good thing. You posted a recording of you and your buddy jamming and asked for feedback. That is also a good thing. So keeping those two things in mind, here is what I will tell you.

Forget the band idea and spend some time learning to play the drums. Pick up a metronome and a video by your favorite drummer and work on the fundamentals. Playing with other musicians can be a good thing, but you should be learning how other drummers do what they do, not trying to come up with your own material with a guitarist who frankly needs as much practice as you do.

I do envy you however. If you stick with the drums you will always have this video to look back on and see where you started. I wish I had that.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Agree with the points made about spending time with a metronome and doing personal practice (just you and a pad or the kit). Invest in some lessons so that your fundamentals are solid.....can't strees this one enough.

I disagree however, with ditching the idea of playing with others. I've found it to be one of the most beneficial paths to improvement......even at the "garage band" stage. Don't neglect your own practice routine, but in my humble experience...if you've got guys to play with, don't stop. At the end of the day, the idea is to make music with others......not blast away with a full chops display in your bedroom. The earlier you learn to blend with others, the better you'll be in the long run.

For what it's worth, I say keep playin' with your mates, man.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with the points made about spending time with a metronome and doing personal practice (just you and a pad or the kit). Invest in some lessons so that your fundamentals are solid.....can't strees this one enough.

I disagree however, with ditching the idea of playing with others. I've found it to be one of the most beneficial paths to improvement......even at the "garage band" stage. Don't neglect your own practice routine, but in my humble experience...if you've got guys to play with, don't stop. At the end of the day, the idea is to make music with others......not blast away with a full chops display in your bedroom. The earlier you learn to blend with others, the better you'll be in the long run.

For what it's worth, I say keep playin' with your mates, man.
Great advice from PFG IMO. Good luck!