Ginger Baker

I can honestly say as a drummer of 33 years I had not a clue who Ginger Baker was til now. I'm amazed that this guy is a drumming icon! Maybe someone can enlighten me on his great drumming works?

What brought me to learn who he was a friend posted and comment on facebook about how great John Bonham was and some replied about Ginger Baker. I looked him up on youtube and I just don't hear it. Maybe I'm just into today's drummers and blown away by prodigy drummers like Royster who are just insane. I try to respect those who try and that it's not all about a killer solo but playing the song. I know Ginger Baker along with Charlie Watts made many more trips to the bank depositing money they made playing drums then I ever will!

Last edited:
This is the best I've heard Baker sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYo3w_SQTLw

When he was "on", he was really on. When he wasn't, he was a plodding, boring mess. I don't think his drums were miced properly for alot of the records either. They sound the best on White Room, but on other stuff like NSU they sound like cardboard boxes. Nevertheless, I think his straight, driving feel was very influential to the heavy rock drumming that was developing.

I seen him on the last day of the Glasgow Jazz Fest back in July.
Amazing player. He's so old now he had to be helped off his kit and back into it for the encore.

AxiThIfCEAEZDxQ.jpg

What brought me to learn who he was a friend posted and comment on facebook about how great John Bonham was and some replied about Ginger Baker. I looked him up on youtube and I just don't hear it. Maybe I'm just into today's drummers and blown away by prodigy drummers like Royster who are just insane.

As with Bonzo people just enjoy his feel and groove. If you'd never heard of Joe Cocker and people talked him up you might not see the appeal if you were into hot singers like Freddie Mercury or Ronnie James Dio. A

ginger baker is brilliant, and a great reason to stay away from heroin.

from a basement drummer's point of view, all drummers are good. Better drummers are the ones who bring the same feel that we hear on the record when they play live.

all good.. :)

real talk this dood is fading fast
he still drums like a motherfucker but they basically have to carry is ass off the stage
i'm so glad i got to see him live

Attachments

• 10435129_10202019864650148_463668106257526919_n.jpg
    10435129_10202019864650148_463668106257526919_n.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,449
  • 10462689_10202019864970156_2485483507854682559_n.jpg
    10462689_10202019864970156_2485483507854682559_n.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,460
Ginger Baker... ah, what can I say?

Ginger Baker Trio with Bill Frizzel and Charlie Haden
Ginger Baker, Coward of the County
Ginger Baker's latest... Why?

and of course all the Cream, Blind Faith, Air Force etc...

Opinionated arse or suffering from Asperger's syndrome?

He's not well, has terminal COPD, oxygen and morphine inhalers for the pain and spends a lot of time in his recliner, out of necessity.

Beware Mr. Baker and associated clips are up on YouTube.

So is an interesting interview conducted by Chad Smith (RHCP).

Jack Bruce aside, I think Baker probably has been ripped off a bit, by EMI, and Nigerian officialdom. And he feels bitter about it. But... is that the Asperger's talking, the rattled brain of a former junkie, the medication? You decide.

I honestly find him to be a fascinating musician. He's not my role model, but I do admire his quest and am saddened by his present health conditions.

All of his personal drum "hero's" have acknowledged his abilities, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Max Roach, all gave Ginger kudos and I think that's what matters to Baker, not yours or my opinion but the respect of his peers.

He'll be gone soon. I think he may be looking forward to that journey as well.

Last edited:
Now I'm wondering why I watched that.......

Ginger's getting old and it shows. Good on him for still playing because it looks like it's a struggle for him these days. It will happen to us all, if we're lucky.

Meh, I can't stand this guy now after reading his book. BUT I think to cut him some slack. He's not young and its good to see him still playing. I'm sure he'd rather be doing polo though. His drums sound kinda flat no?

And his hihat. Always found it odd. Seems he places it way off to his left and quite high up. That seems very unconventional for somebody from the jazz beginnings (and he would say he has only ever been a JAZZ drummer).

There wasn't anything wrong with that performance, though, right? I get he's getting along, but he's still doin' it. I only hope I'll get to be playing when I get there, too.

And his drums sounded fine. Pretty good recording if you ask me.

You're right Bo. It's not called for to compare an old person's playing with what they did in their heyday, which is what I was doing. He's still out there playing good music and it's good to see him getting back to African style too.

Back